Chapter 35: Chat Gris

Marinette rushed out the door without saying goodbye to her parents. The streets were dark, cold and wet but she had to find Nathaniel. She couldn't let him die because of her. It wasn't fair. It wasn't right. This was all one big mess and she had to explain to Chat Noir.

Maybe that would bring him back.

But how could she even get close to him without risking her own death. Chat Blanc tolerated her at best, but she didn't doubt that he'd kill her if the opportunity arose.

In the park. Why?

Marinette bit her lip and willed her feet to move her faster. The lights from the street and the buildings of Paris made it easy for her to navigate, but she was worried. Chat Blanc was faster than her and if he had any idea as to where Nathaniel would be she might already be too late.

She ducked through alleyways, rushing passed cars and ignored the burning in her chest. She barged into the park seconds later, willing herself not to puke from all the adrenaline and fear in system. Her eyes searched the area frantically and then she saw them.

Nathaniel was backed up against the carousal and Chat Blanc was in front of him, twirling his baton gracefully by his side. Marinette ran up to them, desperately willing herself to move faster.

"Please, what do you want?" asked Nathaniel.

Chat Blanc snarled at him and swung his baton. Nathaniel ducked and the metal screeched as it slammed into the carousal. "What do I want? I want you to stay out of my way. Once and for all."

"I didn't do anything." replied Nathaniel. He got up and tried to run, but Chat Blanc was faster. He extended his baton, slamming it into Nathaniel's back and leaped towards him. He turned Nathaniel on his back and smirked evilly.

"Once I get Ladybug I'll get rid of both of you. Oh, but don't worry. I'm sure it'll be quick, though I can't exactly call it painless."

Chat Blanc raised his arm over Nathaniel's body and Marinette's knees gave out from under her. "Chat!" her voice was raw and shrill. Tears ran down her face, pooling beneath her. Chat Blanc's head snapped towards her and Marinette sobbed.

"Chat, please don't do this. He didn't do anything wrong. Please." Chat Blanc sneered at her and for a heartbreaking second Marinette was afriad he'd ignore her.

If he killed Nathaniel he'd never be the same, akumatised or not. He'd lose the part of himself that she admired most. He'd lose who he was the second Nathaniel lost his life.

"Please, Chat." she sobbed, "Don't leave me." She lowered her head to the ground and cried. It was pitiful, ugly and downright degrading, but she didn't know what else to do. She wasn't strong enough, she wasn't brave and there was nothing she could do.

She felt pressure on her arm and Chat Blanc yanked her to her feet. His hollow lilac eyes were enraged, swirling with different shades. "Leave you? You'll be the one to leave me if I don't get rid of him!" Marinette peered behind him and found Nathaniel hanging from one of the lampposts by the back of his shirt.

Her heartbeat faltered in relief. "Please, Chat. I know you're in there." She reached up and grabbed both sides of his head with her hands, "Please come back to me."

A light purple outline covered his face and Chat Blanc sneered. "You'll ruin everything!" he roared. Marinette flinched back, but Chat grabbed her arm before she could escape. "If I can't use Nathaniel as bait then I'll use you!"

Marinette cried out as he pulled her in his arms and vaulted them into the air. He moved quickly, a lot faster than Chat Noir ever had on his own. He stopped near the base of the Eiffel Tower and leaped up from beam to beam until he reached the top. Marinette clung tightly to his chest, praying that he didn't drop her.