Chapter 43: Mindless

Adrien couldn't believe he'd been so stupid. Plagg flew out from his jacket and a moment of silence passed between the two. Then Plagg opened his mouth and Adrien shot him an exasperated look, "Please don't."

The kwami shook his head, grinning humorlessly, "I knew you were stupid, but really?"

He dropped his head in his hands and groaned, "I just thought...Maybe if I just gave her a reason to fall back in love with Adrien then –,"

"She's in love with Chat Noir you dimwit!" snapped Plagg. He crossed his paws over his chest and shook his head, "This is why I stay away from this stuff. With Camembert it's simple. You want one, you have one and then you find another and another and –,"

Plagg quickly dived back into Adrien's vest and Adrien frowned down at him, "Plagg?" A shadow passed over his silhouette from the rooftop and his head instinctively glanced upward. The woman was small, petite and plainly akumatised. But that wasn't what frightened him.

It was Marinette.

"No," he breathed. He watched as it disappeared into another street and dove behind the nearest tree in a hurry to transform. He pulled open his vest, "Plagg! Claws out!"

Chat Noir climbed up on the branches and pulled himself higher, jumping out onto the rooftop. He saw the akuma a few feet ahead, gaining speed, and he followed it.

He'd already made too many mistakes –both as Adrien and Chat Noir –by he wouldn't make another by letting her go. He wouldn't lose her this time.

Throughout the entire chase Chat made sure to be careful, keeping his narrowed eyes on the akuma's hands and ready to strike if it so much made a move on Marinette. There wasn't any doubt where he was headed. Hawk Moth would want Marinette close by when he threatened Chat.

As Adrien he wanted to charge and save her, but another part of him –the part Ladybug had influenced –knew she'd never be safe if they didn't take down Hawk Moth once and for all. He had to stop this, stop the akumas; the lies.

The akuma stopped and Chat Noir threw himself behind a chimney. He reached for his baton and dialed Ladybug multiple times, but she wasn't picking up. He clenched his jaw.

Where the hell was she?

He heard the villain mutter to herself and reluctantly peered out at her. He couldn't do this alone, not without Ladybug and certainly not with Marinette's life on the line. What if he wasn't fast enough? What if she saw him coming? What if Marinette was injured or killed? He needed Ladybug. He was noting without Ladybug.

Then the akuma leapt off the edge of the roof and Chat's heart leapt with her. A flash of void color warped through the air, wrapping around her and she disappeared with Marinette laying limply in her arms.

Chat's eyes widened. No. He couldn't have lost her. He couldn't have –

He snarled out loudly and slammed his baton against the concrete.