Chapter 40: So Much for a Secret Identity

Adrien stuck the pictures Marinette drew on the walls beside his computer screen. He'd taken down the ones of Ladybug, but didn't have the heart to throw them away. So he piled them together and shoved them into the first empty drawer he could find.

"I gotta say," mumbled Plagg, munching away on a cub of cheese, "That girl can really draw."

Adrien took a step back, admiring her artwork and smiled softly. He could picture her drawing them, with her brows creased together in concentration and her fingers flying over the page. He sighed, "Yeah, she's amazing."

"But I still think this is a mistake."

Adrien's blood ran cold and he snapped his head to the kwami, eyes hard. "You don't know what you're talking about. We're in love."

"And Hawk Moth knows that!" snapped Plagg, "You need to at least tell Ladybug about this. As your chosen partner she has a right to know exactly what you'll both be facing in future."

Adrien brushed off Plagg's comments, but they stuck to his mind and tugged on his heart. Plagg never fought with Adrien about anything, but when his identity was compromised the kwami didn't back down. And he was right.

Chat Noir had to reveal himself.

"She won't accept me." he muttered, "Not after she finds out I was the one who broke her heart. She'll think I'm seeing her out of guilt. She won't –,"

"Maybe not, Kid." The kwami flew up to his face and frowned, "But you gotta decide what's more important. You or her."

"Her!" he replied, "Always her." Plagg's expression didn't relax and Adrien dejectedly turned his attention back on the drawings. They all seemed so happy, so beautiful and real. He didn't want to lose that. He didn't want to lose her.

"I just need more time. Hawk Moth hasn't done anything. I can still do this."

Plagg lowered his head and his tiny arms fell to his sides. "It's your choice, Kid. But don't say I didn't warn you."

His bedroom door opened widely and Plagg quickly flew down the neck of the hoodie Marinette made him. Natalie stepped inside and beckoned him forward. "Your father has something urgent to discuss with you Adrien. It's best not to keep him waiting."

"I'm coming." He walked out of the room, not checking if Natalie was behind him and quietly stepped into his father's atelier. Gabriel stood behind his desk, absentmindedly staring at the portrait of his mother.

Adrien cleared his throat and Gabriel's back stiffened. "Father? You called for me?"

"Yes, I did." He turned around and sat behind his desk, urging Adrien to sit down across from him. He complied and Gabriel's eyes hardened considerably when he was seated. "Tell me Adrien, what's your connection with that classmate of yours?"

"Classmate?" he asked, "I don't understand."

"That girl who wants to work for the fashion industry one day," he explained, "I believe your friend Chloe is quite hostile towards her."

Adrien frowned, "You mean Marinette?"

Gabriel nodded, clasping his hands together over the desk between them. "Good. I trust you know about the incident with Chat Blanc on the Eiffel Tower two weeks ago." Adrien nodded wordlessly.

"Good." he muttered, "Her connection with one of Paris's superheroes is alarming and unnerving. I want you to stay away from her for your own protection. No talking and no physical contact. Am I clear?"

Adrien couldn't move. He couldn't understand what his father was doing. "Why?" he croaked, "Chat Blanc isn't a problem anymore. She's safe and Ladybug –,"