Chapter 27: Making it up to Her

Chat Noir dropped Marinette off beneath the Eiffel Tower and his hands itched to grab her the second he let her go. "Enjoy your date, Mari." he mumbled.

Marinette twirled a loose stand of hair from her fringe and smiled shyly, "Thank you, Chat."

He spotted Nathaniel's bright red hair heading their way and saluted Marinette before extending his baton in the air. But he wasn't planning on leaving quite yet. His feet landed one of the beams of the Eiffel tower and Adrien allowed his transformation to fade away.

Plagg flew out of his ring, floating absentmindedly above his head. "What are we doing way out here?" he yawned, "I thought we were going home for cheese."

Adrien sighed, "Give me five minutes. I'm just checking what they're up to."

Plagg moved in front of Adrien and crossed his tiny arms across his chest. "I didn't peg you for a stalker, Kid. Aren't the girls the ones that usually stalk you?"

He grabbed the kwami in his hands sat down more comfortably on the beam. Heights used to bother him, but with all his experience in high places and Plagg's close proximity he wasn't worried. "I'm not stalking her. I'm just making sure everything goes well for her."

"Yeah." muttered the kwami. "Well for her." Plagg wriggled out his hands and peered down the beam at Marinette and Nathaniel. "Don't tell me you're gonna stay up here watching her all night."

"Quit whining." Adrien looked back down at Marinette and his heart clenched when she laughed at something Nathaniel said. He couldn't understand why he felt the way he did. He'd felt jealous with Ladybug plenty of times, but now...it felt worse.

Nathaniel took Marinette's hand in his own and started leading her away towards the ferries. Adrien stood up, his muscles tense. But then he heard her laugh and relaxed. This was what she wanted. He had to remind himself of that.

"Plagg?" he whispered.

"Yeah, Kid?"

"Do you think she's in love with him?" Even as the words left Adrien's mouth, his heart plummeted. He knew Marinette was better off without him, but he didn't want to accept it. He wanted to be down there with her, holding her tightly in his arms instead of Nathaniel.

It hurt badly watching her smile at him, giggle and brush her hair back in a manner that he'd done himself a couple minutes ago. He couldn't give up. It hurt too much thinking about losing her again.

Plagg sat down on Adrien's shoulder and huffed. "I don't think she's crazy about him. But she's obviously not mad about you either."

Adrien's head shot up. "So there's still a chance."

"Meh." replied Plagg, "But don't take my word for it. Especially after all the things you said to her."

Adrien lowered his head and his eyes landed on his ring. He frowned.

Adrien would give up. He'd call it a day and get out of everyone's way to keep the peace. He'd leave Marinette with Nathaniel. But Chat Noir wouldn't. He loved Marinette and he wouldn't let one little date stand in his way. He would fight for her.

He'd show her he loved her.

Adrien smiled and the kwami glared back at him. "What are you up to?"

 "What are you up to?"