Chapter 30: Drastic Measures

"I don't think this is healthy, Dude." Adrien lead Nino in through the massive doors and Nino frowned at him. "I mean, crashing their date? Doesn't that seem kinda harsh?" Adrien felt a small pressure against his chest where Plagg lay in his jacket. He ignored it.

"I'm not crashing their date, Nino." he replied.

"Stalking isn't any better."

Adrien had been thinking about it all night. In fact, he barely slept at all. Just the thought of Nathaniel wrapping his arms around her and kissing her the way he dreamed of doing made his blood boil. He shook his head to shake away the feeling and glanced around at the passing people for her familiar face.

There were plenty of art displays, but he'd heard Nathaniel clearly in class. The new exhibit. That was where they were heading.

Nino grabbed a pamphlet from a small counter and started looking through the pages. His hand fell on Adrien's shoulder and he pulled him back. "Hey, Dude, check it out."

Adrien turned and saw him pointing down at one of the displays. It was an abstract painting, covered in multi-colored circles overlapping across the page. "I knew I could draw." He mused, "Mr Bernard didn't know what he was talking about."

"Mr Bernard?"

"Third grade art teacher." he clarified, "Never had the heart to pick up another paint brush after that." Adrien smiled at his friend and glanced around as they stepped into an adjoining hall. And then he saw her.

She walked alongside Nathaniel, their hands entwined and looking at all the paintings around them with wide eyes. She was radiant, with her pigtails bouncing in the air with every step and a sparkle in her eyes. Adrien couldn't help but sigh. Watching her was like giving food to a starving man or breathing a breath of fresh air.

"You got it real bad don't ya." asked Nino. Nathaniel inched his hand higher on Marinette's arm and Adrien's forehead creased as they disappeared in the crowd.

His shoulders slumped. "You have no idea." His clenched his fists at his sides and wrenched his eyes back to his best friend, "I messed it all up, Nino. I messed up big time."

Nino tilted his head to the side and offered him a sad smile. Reaching out to pat his shoulder, Nino asked, "Since we're already here, I say we check out that new display. I hear it's a pretty huge deal and at least that way you two will at least have something to talk about."

Adrien nodded and followed Nino absentmindedly towards the back of the museum. There were already a few people gather, most with notepads and judgmental glares fixed on the things around them. Adrien spotted Theo on a slightly higher platform. He looked about the same, unchanged, but his confidence was clearer than it had been before.

Marinette appeared with Nathaniel seconds later and Adrien's heart wrenched when Nathaniel wrapped his arm around her shoulder. That should be him with her. He should be the one making her laugh and smile.

He instinctively took a step forward, but Nino nudged his shoulder and gestured in front of them. "Show's starting, Bro."

Adrien tried to concentrate as Theo spoke, but all his focus was on her. Without her everything felt dull and lifeless –without color –and Adrien found himself forgetting what life had been like without her.

"On behalf of the proud protectors of this great city, I'd like to present you all with the honor of seeing my latest masterpiece." He stepped back and pulled off a thin red fabric off his propped up canvas. And there, in all its glory, was the detailed painting of Chat Noir and Ladybug swinging atop the buildings in the night.