Chapter 11: Face to Face

The next morning...

Clemont called a meeting so that they can discuss the next plan. As much as there are more comfortable seats in the café where Milani and Iris worked, the boarding house was still a safer place to stay in to prevent unwanted people to overhear their conversations.

Iris, Milani and Jace arrived together. Bonnie and Max were waiting with Clemont.

"Where did May go anyway?" Max asked. "That girl. She always goes to wherever she wants to go without asking other people."

As if be cue, May enters the room with Clarise with accompanying her.

"Hey, Clarise!" Bonnie greeted. "Are you gonna join our super squad too?"

"Super squad?" Jace questioned.

"Well...yeah! We're like a squad. Sure, there are some people who want the money, blah blah blah, but we're the team that wants to befriend the creature thing! Yo...we should give a code name for the creature thing. I don't wanna keep on calling it a creature thing or a monster." Bonnie blabbered.

"Actually, I wanna know why May is so insistent that I join your meeting." Clarise said.

"Well..." May started off. "When we talked last night, you mentioned that you know someone who saw that incident when Drew was talking with Ross. I thought that maybe you could help us out."

"May Maple, remember the mission!" Max scolded. "No offense, but the main mission is not to look for your missing boyfriend."

May looked hurt. "Max, please."

"Max, if you think about it. Drew's disappearance is most likely linked with Ross. We also know that Drew's family and even Bill loaned money from him." Clemont explained.

"Not to mention that Ross asks for much more than what he originally gave. He has extremely high interest rates. It's no wonder most of his clients can't pay him back." Jace added. "Since someone actually attacked him for that, he's not gonna be happy about it."

"Okay, so what do you guys suggest we do then?" Max asked.

"One thing's for sure. Do not even think about surrendering the creature to Ross." Clarise said. "And as much as I know I could be of help, I just can't get myself to help you guys take down Ross. I want him to stop what he's doing, but I just...I can't. All I'm asking you guys to do whatever you can to end this. As much as possible, something that's not violent. I told you what I knew and that's it. Now if you excuse me."

Clarise made her way out, leaving everyone confused.

"What's her deal?" Bonnie asked.

"It's best not to press on personal matters. If anything, maybe she knows someone who loaned from Ross too." Iris guessed.

Clemont coughed to get everyone's attention. "Let's just get back to our meeting. I think we'll do fine without Clarise."

"We have to set the course of our plan. One thing is that we won't surrender the monster to Ross because the monster is not really the monster people claim him to be." Max said.

"Honestly, I wonder if it's actually a he." Bonnie thought.

"Okay, fine. Gender-neutral pronouns. We believe that the monster is actually a good person...thing...whatever. All we're here for is to find out exactly what that monster is." Max said.

"But Max, you have to be sensitive of what's going on as well." Jace replied. "Milani and May care about Drew. He went missing probably because of Ross. If there was someone you cared about who went missing and you finally have hints as to where they might be, I bet you would do the same."