Chapter 16: I Know It's You

The rest of the group has returned back to the boarding house. Jace and Milani decided to stay for the night again. After all, there were still things that they had to do.

May and Clemont wanted to go to their respective rooms, but Jace stops them.

"We're going to the police station tomorrow morning. We're gonna present to them the video footage we managed to collect. Maybe that'll help the case." Jace told them. "Milani has started reviewing it. If we give the footage, maybe they'll consider investigating the headquarters. We'll be at the kitchen." Jace said as he went to the kitchen, leaving May and Clemont at the living room.

"Are they insane? I know they mean well with this, but there's no way we can win this! Ross has the respect of the townspeople here. We're just nobodies who aren't even from here! Not to mention we were technically trespassing! We weren't even supposed to be there!" Clemont explained, breaking his silence.

"So, what do you want us to do? Nothing? Do you just want to leave Max and Bonnie there?!" May retorted.

"Of course I don't want to leave Bonnie behind! I want her out of there, but you think they're just gonna believe us?! We need to think of another way to catch him!"

"Suppose we do end up saving Bonnie and Max. We somehow get them out of there without legal action. Do you think that will stop Ross from taking money from other people? Do you think that the so-called monster that could be Drew will be left alone? And if it was Drew, do you think his life can go back to normal?"

"ENOUGH, MAY! Honestly, I should've just gone home. We met the creature. That's the point of me being here. That's the ONLY reason why we even went here in the first place."

"Then maybe you should've have not promised! So much for being a 'team', huh? If you wanna leave, then leave."

"Not until I get my sister back, you selfish prick!"

"I was selfish then. I admit that. But now? I wouldn't even bother going there if I only thought of myself!"

"Well, you obviously didn't care about Max and Bonnie because YOU were supposed to look after them."

Meanwhile, Milani was peeking from the kitchen to see and listen to Clemont and May's argument. She decided to finally step in.

"Enough with the arguments, guys!" Milani yelled.

"Milani, please just tell Clemont that he's free to leave if he doesn't want to cooperate with your plan." May said.

Milani approached them. "I'm not here to pick a side." She followed with a sigh.

"I'm going in my room." Clemont said as he left and proceeded to his room. They could hear him locking the door.

"Just give him time. You were the one that can easily be blamed, so he did that. I know he didn't mean what he said, May." Milani assured.

"I'm out as well." May said as she had gone to her room. She also locked her door.

Milani stood there while she as she thought.

I get why you guys are feeling like that. It's not the first time. The family blamed me for allowing Drew to leave. I know that I should've kept my eye on him because he was already telling me that he wanted to go to Rosace. Maybe if I did, none of these would be happening.

But then...would all our paths even cross if I never went here?

--

The next afternoon...

Clarise was at the front desk when she saw May leave the board house. May had left to get some fresh air and to clear her mind.

Clarise knew that Bonnie and Max were missing judging from the looks on their faces. She wanted to talk to May about it, but she knew May was too upset. She did slightly hear the arguments May had with Clemont.