The Dark Tower

Mimi Deschain

I smiled looking down at my necklace, it was a gift from my older brother, Roland

I smiled looking down at my necklace, it was a gift from my older brother, Roland. Then I looked up, remembering where I was. I heard the familiar voice of the man in black, Walter, he was coming to my holding room.  "What now?" I complained at him as he entered. 

"I still want to know who you are, I know your more than a gunslinger. I can't control you, or read your mind," he stated and I shrugged. 

"I'm a gunslinger, that's it" I protested, truth was I don't even know how I gained the magic I had, but I had it and I protected it. 

"Come on, just tell me already, don't make me come any closer," he said again, summoning fire to his hand.

"I will not, for she who breaks a promise has forgotten the face of her father," I recited the familiar lesson. My brother had taught me all the rules of being a gunslinger, and I intended to stick by them. 

"I actually believe you. So I am going to find out how to break you, if I have to let you go to do it," he released me from the shackles that held me captive and beckoned for me to stand and follow him.

I did so and he led me to the outside world, except I didn't want to go, if I did my heart would lead me back to my brother, then what? He dies too and I'm the last gunslinger. "I think I'll stay." I said turning around and going back inside. '

"No you won't." Walter protested and I felt his magic pull me back, except I could resist, somehow my magic protected me allowing me to stand my ground, staring him dead in the eyes. "Take her back to the cell!" He finally gave in and a couple of the guys came to grab me but with the simple words, "leave me be," they were forced to leave me alone, and I walked alone back to the familiar room.

"You will talk, gunslinger," Walter threatened. 

"Mimi, it's Mimi, jackass" I told him and he nodded. 

"Whatever Mimi, now I know that you are a sorceress. Not how or why, but you are, it's the only way you can resist me, not even people with the strongest shine can equal to me," he sat opposite me and I looked away. "I also know that someone out there is dear to you and I will find them and make them suffer unless you talk," I studied his face and saw he was dead serious, but what should I do? Betray the laws of the gunslingers, or betray my brother, who is the only other gunslinger. Either way I guess they were the same thing and I had to protect my older brother. 

"I can't tell you because I don't know how either, but I am powerful like you," was all I said, but it seemed to satisfy him and he left me to allow me some rest.

Across the World...

"Where did you get this?" Roland questioned Jake, who held out a picture which showed him and Mimi, back to back with guns held close as they fought to protect the village. 

"I drew it, from my dreams," Jake replied. 

"Who is she?" He asked.

"Someone who is very close to me. In the hold of the Man in Black." Was all he replied. Jake could see he didn't want to discuss it further as he stared into the small fire they had made. However, when he lay down to sleep he heard one last whisper from Roland, "I am coming sister."

Mimi POV
I gasped and sat up, Roland was in pain, he was being slowly constricted, barely able to breath and I felt him reaching. Suddenly, it stopped, he was ok. "Where'd you go, then?" Walter asked, and I looked over to see him sat looking at me. 

"Nowhere, what are you doing?" I questioned throwing an annoyed physic blast his way.

"Nothing," was all he replied writing something down in a small book he held. I sighed as he left and stared at the ceiling processing all the dread that ran through my mind, Roland was in danger, but I knew he was with a boy with a strong, pure, shine. Walter could sense it too, that was what I feared.

I gripped the necklace around my neck, it always made me feel safe, like I always had Roland with me. "Calm down Mimi, it's ok, I'm fine and always will be," is what he would say. I started to hum to myself as I remembered a lesson my mother taught me when I was 2 before she died, "Music is the Medicine of the Mind," her voice echoed in my head as I started to sing to myself, instantly forgetting all of the fear that had built up inside of me. Not fear for me, but for my brother and the boy. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep and following my brothers tracks through my mind. I never dared reach out to him, for fear of revealing his location, but I always knew where he was and what was happening to him. Right now he was recovering from a stab wound, but we healed quick, even quicker when we're together

When I woke up again, it was mid afternoon and as usual, Walter sat across the room staring at me. "You know, that's really creepy and you should stop." I snapped, sitting up and tying my hair back into a ponytail. "And what's with the smirk?" 

"Well, I know exactly who you're protecting out there. Mimi Deschain." He grinned as I froze, in fear or anger I didn't know.