Chapter Fifteen - Dinner with the Prescott's

"When you're feeling uncomfortable, then just give me a sign and we'll be out of here" Nathan said as we were standing in front of the Prescott Mansion. No wonder Nathan wanted to move out of here. "Got it and honestly I don't really give a damn about what your father thinks of me. He drove his children out of his house, I couldn't care less"

"But he has a talent on scaring people away anyways. Even if they don't care at first. That's why I never had a girlfriend" Nathan said and I got a weird feeling in my stomach. "You won't leave my side, right?" I asked and he nod "I won't leave you alone" He said to assure me. I knew I could trust him and I knew he wouldn't lie to me about this. We gathered all our courage before entering the mansion and let me tell you, I was immediately scared to touch anything and break it, because I was most definitely not able to pay for repair or to replace anything in this house.

"Sean, they're here" A friendly woman shouted. "Hello mom" Nathan said and briefly hugged his mother. I didn't really know her yet, but she is so sweet. "You must be the lovely Clare Nathan told me so much about" She said and I noticed him blush right next to me. "I didn't know Nathan likes to talk about me so much. Especially since we have been together since a short time"

"Nathan has been talking about you since months" His mother said and he looked at her "Mom!" He said slightly embarrassed. "He did?" I asked and looked at him "That's cute" I added. "It is? It's pathetic!" He said. "Feelings aren't pathetic Nate. They make you human and they make me love you" I said and kissed his cheek. "Awe, you guys are so adorable!" His mother was literally fangirling.

"Nathan, why don't you show her around the house while I finish dinner, but you should say hello to your father first" His mother said and went into the kitchen. "Hey, I'm right here" I said and grabbed his hand. "Wasn't it me that just encouraged you?" He asked. "You seem to need it more right now" I said and we entered the living room together. "Good afternoon Mr. Prescott" I said, holding on tight to his hand. "Hello father" Nathan said. "Hello son, as I can see you brought that girl with you" He said.

"Clare" Nathan said "Her name is Clare and Clare is my girlfriend! Why wouldn't she be here to meet my parents! Mom was happy to meet her!" "I'm done talking to you!" Mr. Prescott said and disappeared in a room that looked like his office. "I'm sorry Clare" He said. "Don't! Don't be sorry, you did nothing wrong!" I said and took a deep breath "How about that house tour?" I asked and pulled him out of the living room although I had no idea where I would even go.

He noticed that felt uncomfortable, so he pulled me upstairs. "It was a bad idea to bring you here" He suddenly said. "No, it wasn't! Your mom is sweet and totally cute. Nothing like my mother" I said. "Why so?" He asked, opening the door to a room. It was his bedroom or better looked like it. "Because she has to handle me and Chloe. Try handling two troubled children all on your own. Especially since we can't stand that dickhead boyfriend of hers" I said and sat down on the bed "Is your dad always like this?" I asked.

"He is and this fire outside makes it even worse. He owns half of Arcadia Bay and the more burns down the more money he loses" Nathan said and sat down beside me. "How did this happen? The fire I mean?" I asked him, although I knew he couldn't explain it either. "I don't know" He said. "Mister Amber said something. They say it was arson" "Who would do that?" Nathan asked. "I don't know. I have absolutely no idea" I replied. "Your room seems nice, although it seems kind of cold. Like no one has been living here since a while" I changed the topic. "That's because I moved into the dormitory a while ago. Unfortunately I can't even escape my family there" He said and I sighed. I had no idea what to say or do to make him feel better.

"I wish I could just move into the  dormitory myself, but my family can't afford that. We can barely afford the house we're living in. There is a reason why it is only half painted" I said. "I um- noticed that, but I didn't want to ask about that" He said. "And I'm thankful for that. I really am Nate" I said and lied my head onto his shoulder.

"Let's just get through dinner" He said after a while and I raised my head again. "Yeah, let's eat, but please not too much, I- you know" I said. "I know" He said and got up, pulling me up with him. "If it helps, I prefer your dorm room over this one a lot" I said, causing him to smile.

Not a long time later we were sitting in the dining room, eating the delicious dinner Mrs. Prescott had cooked. "This is amazing" I complimented her food. "Thank you dear" She replied. "It's been a while since I ate anything... fancy" I said. "How so?" Mrs. Prescott kept the conversation going. "My dad... he was the cook of the family. I mean, my mom does cook, but not so fancy like my dad used to do" I told them. "What happened?" She asked and I took a deep breath. "Oh my, I'm so sorry Clare" She said, noticing that I was being different. "My father died two years ago" I said and looked down onto my food, losing my appetite.

"I'm sorry Clare, I had no idea" She said. "It's okay, I'm used to it. I can't expect everyone to know, can I?" I asked, trying to light the mood a little. "I'm sorry Clare" She said. "Oh, is that the time? I should go. It was really good, really" I said and literally jumped up. "Do you want me to pack you some leftovers?" "No, really you don't have to" I told her, but she insisted, which meant I left the Prescott mansion with a few boxes of food.

About an hour later I arrived at home where Dickhead Madsen and my mom where still awake. Shit! I hoped they would have been asleep by now, after all my mom had an early shift tomorrow. "Clare?" I heard my mother yell as soon as I opened the front door. "Who else?" I replied and went into the kitchen to put my food into the fridge. "Is Chloe with you?" She asked, turning around to me. "Nope, haven't seen her in a while and I most definitely haven't spoken to her either. If you excuse me, I have to go and get a shower and then get to bed" I said with a little more sass than usual. "Clare!" I heard my mother yell, but I ignored her and just went upstairs and into my room to get everything I needed for the shower.

About 40 minutes later I as was completely done with everything and lying in my bed, starring at the ceiling, thinking about the good old times when my dad was still alive.