Chapter Sixteen - Trip Down Memory Lane

"What do I smell here?" I asked with a huge smile on my face as I entered the house. I had just hung out with my best friend Warren. "Dad and I are making dinner" Chloe answered, sticking her head out of the kitchen. I was always kind of jealous of her long hair. Mine would never grow that long, nor would it stay as straight as hers did. "What? I want to help! Why would you start cooking without me? How dare you?" I said overly dramatic. "Then get changed and don't forget to wash your hands princess" Dad called from the kitchen. "Already on it!" I called and ran up the stairs, taking two steps at the time. I'm guessing mom was working late at the dinner as usual. But hey, when you want to go to Paris, you have to make money and Chloe and I were way too young to work. I was barely allowed out of the house by myself, even if Warren's family lived near by.

I went into my room and quickly changed before running into the bathroom and washed my hands with soap and all before pulling my hair into a ponytail and jumping down the stairs. "Chef Clare ready for take off" I said. "Seriously Clare? Cooking isn't rocket science" I said and started helping them. "But it's science, in some way at least" Chloe replied and I groaned "We get it, you're good in science. Big deal, in exchange I'm good in different things" I said and put the bowl down. "Like what?" She asked. "I can take killer photos. Just ask Warren, he loves all of my photos" I said and grabbed the polaroid camera from the table and took a photo of dad and Chloe.

"I bet it's not the photos he loves" Chloe said and I blushed. "Chloe, I'm twelve!" I defended myself, "Meaning he's eleven!" "So what? I had my first crush when I was eleven" Chloe replied. "Well, you're older and a teenager" I said. "What does that have to do with anything?" Chloe asked and posed for another photo. "Girls, what are you even talking about?" Dad asked, not really following us. "Chloe has a crush!" I immediately replied before she could say anything. "Clare has a boyfriend" Chloe said immediately after me. "What?" I yelled. "Clare and Warren, sitting in a tree" Chloe sang and I grabbed something from the counter and started chasing her while she was running away. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" She continued. "GIRLS!" Dad called, trying to break us up.

"You know I'm just messing with you Clare" Chloe said, ruffling my hair. "I still hate it!" I replied, trying to fix my ponytail, but she didn't let me since she was hugging me. "My two girls" Was all dad could say, laughing of course.

Suddenly we heard the sound of water dropping onto the cooker. "Sh-" Dad said and did pressed some button. I had no idea how that magic food box was working. All I knew was that you push food inside of it and wait, it will turn to something you can actually eat. "All good. Saved it!" He said and finished cooking while Chloe and I just watched him. Since we get into our teasing wars all the time, it would be saver for the two of us to stay out of the kitchen completely.

"What do you think you become when you grow up?" I asked Chloe out of curiosity. "I don't know yet Clary. Maybe something with science, you know I'm really good at that" She replied. "Doctor Frankenchloe, that sounds great" I said with a smile. "You're a freak Clary, you know that?" She asked. "I proudly am" I said. "What do you want to become when you're grown up?" She asked me. "I don't know yet, but maybe something with photography. I just love taking photos of everyone and everything" I said. "I know, remember mom and dad's last anniversary surprise?" She asked and I laughed at the thought of that.

More polaroid's than you can imagine everywhere in the house when they came home from work. They were literally everywhere. Chloe and I hid some of them as well and sometimes we still find some of them lying around the house, like about two weeks ago I found one underneath the kitchen counter. But anyways, they loved the surprise and were definitely excited on what we had planned for this year. Chloe and I were still debating on what to give them, all we knew was that it had to be epic.

"I'm home" Mom called, entering the kitchen and giving dad a kiss. "Mom" I yelled, jumped up and hugged her. Mom and I were close, not as close as dad and I were or Chloe and I, but she was only a tiny step behind. "Hello my sweetheart" She said and kissed my forehead before she went on to say hello to Chloe and kissed her forehead as well. Just an example of how close our family was. "Letting dad cook alone? Doesn't sound like you two" She said. "Well..." Chloe and I started at the same time. "Do I even want to hear it?" She asked and my sister and I both shook our heads. Mom looked at us before going upstairs and to get change.