Chapter 3

Christine

“Hey, I'm coming over” I say into my telephone as I look out my bedroom window. I could spit out the window and it would hit Waliyha's house.

“Um, no why don't I come over instead,” she says in a nervous tone. What's going on?

“Is everything alright, Liya?” I ask grabbing my phone charger. I'm definitely coming over. Specially if something happened that's making my best friend sad.

“Yes, everything is fine. I just can't have people over. My...mum is...sick. Horrible cold, she has,” Waliyha responds. She's always been a horrible liar.

“Your mom left for work this morning. What's going on you cow?” I quip into my phone as I make my way down the stairs.

“Nothing! I'll come over, I'll be there in ten seconds!” she says, still sounding nervous.

I hang up the phone and run out the door. I cut across our front lawn, hop the short wooden fence that separates our house from the Maliks', and make it to their front door just as Waliyha is opening it. She sees me and quickly shuts the door. What the hell is going on?

“Waliyha, open the god damn door!” I say pounding on it. I swear to god if her useless jerk of a boyfriend hurt her physically again I will definitely kill him myself.

“Did he hurt you again? I swear if Peter hurt you again I'm gonna call the police, Liya! That;s not healthy!” I scream through the door. She quickly opens it slightly and I notice the chain is engaged.

“Shut up would you? I would prefer if the neighbors didn't know about my personal business,” she said in a somber tone. I notice that her face is unblemished and her arms don't have any bruises or scratches. I sigh a sigh of relief.

“I'm sorry, but you weren't opening up and it was odd. Why aren't you letting me in?” I ask pushing on the door as if the strength of a twenty-year-old girl would break the copper chain holding the door only slightly ajar.

“Christine, I can't tell you why. Trust me, if I could, I would. Just go home and I'll be over in a few minutes I promise,” she pleads. I can tell whatever it is she's hiding she really wants to tell me. Her big brown eyes show it.

“Open the door you cow!” I yell and bang on the door in one last effort to get her to give in.

“Oi! What's happening down here?” I hear a man's voice ask. I instantly freeze. I look behind Waliyha's head and see a thin boy standing halfway down the staircase. He looks like a boy at least until my vision focuses and I notice his light arms are covered in dark black ink that draws patterns, words, and pictures onto his body. My eyes travel to his chest where a red lipstick stain with wings rests. I look down and see his contoured abs. He's wearing red gym shorts and I can see a detailed tattoo of a wolf hiding behind a thin layer of leg hair. My pulse begins to quicken. It can't be.

I finally gain the courage to let my eyes travel upward to his face. The soft face that I grew up with since I was a little girl is now covered in facial hair, and a lot more angular than I remembered it. The thin unruly eyebrows are pursed into a frown. His hair is buzzed on the side but extremely long on the top and it points in every direction. Lastly my eyes focus on his lips. His thin red lips. I feel out of breath. It can't be him.

“Zayn?”