Chapter 1: Them

"Pain is just a signal your body sends to your brain to tell it that something is wrong. It's just a signal, and most of the time it's not even worth it. It's not worth noticing."

This is what I tell myself everyday. Not healthy for a 13 year old, 7th grade, girl. Not that any second of my life was healthy for me. No, my life was pretty terrible.

My mom and dad married happily and settled down in a beautiful house overlooking the sea. They had a gorgeous baby within a year of their marriage. That's what tore this lovely couple apart. Something wasn't quite right about their newborn daughter, and their views on how to take care of her broke them apart. The father barely came home, spending all his time working so he wouldn't have to come home. The mother became an alcoholic, trying to drink all her problems away.

The two finally split up on the girl's fourth birthday, a depressing day indeed. The father took his things and left. He remarried pretty quickly, quick to forget about his past marriage. The mother just drank more, neglecting the young child. The only source of income was the money the father sent to them for the mother to take care of the girl. Though the money was often spent on liquor.

The girl was 6 when she finally realized how broken her life was. No one would ever suspect that she had a horrible life. She was an angel, got good grades, had lots of friends, was a perfect girl. She did well in sports, tried out lots of clubs, and even became school president. She did all this to get her mom's attention. To get her mom's love.

But her mom never noticed her. The girl's gift was a constant reminder of that. The gift of reading others' thoughts and deepest desires. It was a burden to her, but she used it the best she could to be the best person she could be. That never satisfied her mother. Her mother thought her own child was a monster.

When the girl was 13, her grandmother finally decided to get her out of there. Her grandmother had no idea what was going on until she got a drunken call from the girl's mother. The girl moved into the city where the grandmother was staying. The grandmother swore that she would give this child everything that she had missed during her early childhood.

That's where I start my story. I start it in the middle of 7th grade. In a whole new scenery that I'm not used to. Where I met them.

[Drafted By Natalie]