Chapter 5: Dressed in White

It's been a few days since I ran home. I still haven't been able to shake the feeling of being watched by something dark. Every corner I turn I'm looking back to see if something is there. School feels on edge, and the walk home afterwards always fills me with dread. Sitting in class I drum my fingers on the surface, wondering how long it will take for me to stop acting so jumpy.

"Nami?" A voice whispers.

I startle and quickly look at the desk to my right.

"Oh, Ritsu." I frown. Knowing he's still around doesn't make me feel any better, It just makes me feel even more uneasy.

"Are you alright?" He breathes, careful to make sure our lecturing teacher doesn't notice. She usually pays little attention anyways.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I shoot back. Turning my head away from him I take a shaky breath. He probably means well. Why can't I just calm down?

By the time the school day is over I find an answer to my question; it's because I keep expecting whatever that thing was to come back. It seems like it's just a matter of time before something bad happens. As I pull my books out from my locker to go home, I catch a thought from someone I recognize.

.....Oh it's Nami!.....I can say hi to her before I go home....

"Hey Nami!" A girl from my class walks over to where I'm at. I put on a fake smile and greet her back. I don't care to remember what her name was, she just acts nice to me every once in awhile. Her thoughts have told me she just wants to do the right thing and be polite to the new kid. We make brief small talk, stuff along the lines of mythology were learning about in history.

"I think the whole thing is kinda ridiculous," the girl complains. "I mean, I don't really believe in spirits, do you."

With a nervous chuckle I respond "I had one follow me home from school the other day."

She laughs at my joke before saying goodbye and leaving. I sigh and shut my locker. Slinging my book bag over my shoulder I begin the trek home.

Stepping over cracks once again, the paranoia of being followed returns. I reach out with my mind and can't read anything. Satisfied with this slight reassurance that I am alone I walk on.

After a few minutes I start to feel a little better. Losing myself in my own thoughts and staring at the sidewalk, I don't notice the other person at first.

....About time she got here......been waiting to intercept her for awhile now......

Freezing mid step I slowly look ahead of me. Only a block down the path is a shorter man. He's dressed in a white gi with his dark hair pulled back in a tight ponytail. He walks toward me with a smile on his face, his mindset reeking with confidence.

"Little girl, I'm going to have to ask you to come with me." He states in a chilling voice.

"And what if I don't?" I respond, tense and ready to run.

The man places his palms together in front of him, eyes closed. The space around him blurs for a second, and to my horror, three more guys just like him emerge from the spot he's standing. All four look straight at me.

"I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter," they speak in sync.

[Drafted By Anna]