Flirit

Screams.

That was all Genesis could hear as she stepped out of the jeep and into a familiar forest. A very familiar forest. One she'd hoped she'd never set foot in. Not after that day.

Evidently, though, the screams were only in her mind.

In her memories.

She gritted her teeth, her hands shaking slightly as Finn pulled her through the woods.

They were heading towards that place.

The one place she'd never wanted to return to.

The City of Flirit.

Or, more aptly, the ruins of the City of Flirit.

That's all that was left of the sprawling city which had thrived up until sixteen years ago. She could still remember the bustling bright markets... the sound of car horns and bicycle bells as people hurried by, ignoring the small three-year-old Genesis on the street side, dressed in rags.

She shook her head as the city came into view, it seeming surprisingly overgrown considering it'd only been sixteen years since that incident.

***

It had started like any other day.

Genesis had woken up, cold and hungry, as per usual. People were already bustling through the streets, hurrying to their jobs.

It wasn't until the middle of the day that things diverged from her normal routine.

Genesis's world suddenly turned an alarming shade of red, a sickly-sweet smell filling the air.

Two sharp objects had dropped down over her lip, her feet carrying her towards the source of that delicious scent.

She soon found out exactly what that source was, though, and the sight had made her stomach twist.

Pools of blood.

Streaming from bullet holes in the half-dead bodies littering the ground.

Genesis soon spied the source of those bullets, too.

It was quite hard to miss the gunman in between the long walls of mirrored glass.

After all, he was pointing his gun at her at that moment in time.

Blood rose in streams around her, like tendrils of seaweed floating in water, ready to act.

But they didn't need to.

Instead, footsteps broke through the odd silence ringing in the small girl's ears, her head turning just in time to spy the red-haired figure sprinting through the field of blood, fangs extended as she skilfully dodged all of the bullets fired her way, said fangs tearing into the man's throat in the next second.

***

"Genesis?" Finn's voice pulled her out of her thoughts as she stared around the ivy-covered walls in front of her. "Are you alright?"

She shook him off. "I'm fine."

"Keep on your guard." The Alpha warned, his grey gaze scanning every inch of the horizon as they trawled through the wreckage of the place Genesis had once called home. "There's a very high likelihood that Omega Taurus and the Knights of the Apocalypse are operating out of this area."

"I know."

"Come on. We've got this whole area to search." He strode ahead, his eyes picking through the rubble, looking for anything out of the ordinary.