Chapter one - The Beginning

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"His hands are saying that he wants to hold her. His feet are saying that he wants to chase after her..."

  - Ai Yazawa

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

When I wanted to hang with my friends, my mum -she's the one who my dad married when I was four- told me I had to be home by twelve. She said she'd make dad stay up until I was safe home.

Little did I know she wasn't joking.

When I came home at five past twelve, my dad was sitting in the living room, with a livid-looking mother. Her brown, curly hair bounced up as she rushed to the hall way where I was taking off my coat.

"Where were you?" did she ask, "It's past curfew."

"Mum. It's only five minutes."

"Five minutes she says. Did you hear that, Jackson? We don't have to be worried, because she is only five minutes late. And she didn't find it necessary to send a text," she rambled, "Did you know how worried I was? What if something had happened when you were coming home?"

"At this time, mum?" I asked, "Almost no one's out on the streets."

"You said it yourself, Scarlet. Almost no one. The people who are out and about, are people you shouldn't be around."

"Nothing happened, Nina," my father said, "That's what matters."

I shot my dad a thanking look to which he replied with a smile.

We both knew she could exaggerate and he trusted me to know that I wouldn't even come in the neighbourhood of bad boys.

He knew I didn't like hanging around people much, so when I had asked if I could go to some friends, he almost immediately said yes.

"You're always taking her side, Jackson," she snapped, "She needs to know we're one front."

"We are, babe," he said, "But you're making an elephant out of a mosquito. When you -or me for that matter- is wrong, we need to let each other know. Scarlet, you go upstairs and we'll talk about this tomorrow."

I walked up the stairs and got ready for bed.

Little did I know something terrible happened when I was going home.