chapter thirty -The Jack, The King And The Ace

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Because, if you could love someone, and keep loving them, without being loved back . . . then that love had to be real.

It hurt too much to be anything else."

- Sarah Cross

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Nice girl you have here," a man said, "Maybe you should introduce her to the Ace."

Jude's arm tightened around my shoulder. I looked away from the painting, only to see a bulky man staring at me. He had less muscles than Jude, but he had enough of them to make me want to avoid him if I neared him on the street.

"Shut it, Jack," Jude growled, "She has nothing to do with our business and the Ace doesn't need to know anything about her."

The man in front of us smirked, as if he knew something we didn't.

"About who don't I have to know anything about?" a deep voice thundered, startling me.

I cowered behind Jude, just like I used to do when we were younger. When I had mustered up enough courage to peek from behind Jude, I wished I hadn't.

A dark-haired man with equally dark eyes peered at Jude. On his face was a scar that ran through his left eyebrow. He was wearing a suit, the same colour as his midnight-black locks. He had a trimmed, three-day beard, making him look even more dangerous.

"I asked you something," he boomed, "Who don't I have to know about?"

"Someone the King brought with him," Jack answered.

"Is that true?" the dark man barked at Jude.

Jude's voice was as cold and distant as Jack did when he replied, making me look up at his face. Only to see that it was set the same.

"Let me see her," the man ordered.

Jude turned around.

"Sorry," he whispered, before stepping aside.

The man hummed in approval, making me want to crawl away in a corner in order to lose his interest, "I can understand why you want to keep her to yourself, King. She's quit a piece."

"Don't get anything in your head, Ace," Jude growled, suddenly pulling me towards his chest.

He stroked my hair and muttered words of comfort onto my head.

"Remember your place," the raven-haired man snapped, "You're not in command. I can get rid of you as quick as I can of anyone else, King. Understood?"

"Yes, Ace," Jude replied curtly, "If you excuse us, we are going to McDonald's."

"Fine. Make sure she is safe," the male -Ace- ordered, "I think I have found a place for her in our organization."

"No."

Ace raised his eyebrow, "No?"

"No. She won't be joining us, Ace. She knows nothing and I want to keep it that way."

"We'll talk about it tomorrow. First thing in the morning you do, King, is come to my office and we'll have a discussion about this matter."

Jude nodded and then guided me out of the club.

The cold air nipped at my exposed legs and arms, making me shiver in response. Jude noticed and shrugged off his leather coat and draped it over my shoulders.

"I'm sorry for all of that, Dream Doll," he said, "I hoped he wouldn't be there."

"Jude?" I asked, "Who is that Ace?"

"My boss."