chapter twenty-nine - Queen Of Hearts

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Every blade has two edges; he who wounds with one, wounds himself with the other."

- Victor Hugo

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

Jude told me it was fine if I didn't want to tell why exactly I dropped out. And after that, he returned my brush and dived into my closet.

"Nice dresses," he commented as he held out a sleeveless, blue dress with a short-layered skirt. It was accented with gold, satin roses at the bottom of the flared skirt.

The dress gave off a fifties-vibe. I actually forgot I packed it.

"Want to hang out?" he said, "I mean, this dress will get you attention, but I don't want you to stay cooped up in here the entire time."

"Someone is going all big bro mode on me," I taunted, "Are you scared this Doll will be broken by the end of the night?"

He shivered and clamped his eyes shut, "Don't let me think of that. You're too innocent for such a thing, Scarlet."

* * * * *

He convinced me to go to this place called 'Queen Of Hearts' and oh my god.

This was just a madhouse.

People were dancing everywhere. I couldn't even call it dancing. It was more like rubbing their bodies against each other.

I turned to Jude.

"Can I go, please?"

He threw his arm around me and guided me through the mass of sweaty, drunk people.

"We're going to see some friends of mine and then we can leave to McDonald's or something. Seems like a good plan for you, Dream Doll?"

I smiled nervously, fiddling with the hem of my dress -the soft fabric calming my nerves a bit-, and nodded.

"Good. Ow, before I forget to mention. Don't be scared of them. They look really tough and angry, but they won't hurt you."

And with that being said, we walked into a secluded part of the club.

The fumes of the alcohol-containing drinks still lingered in the air, but they weren't as strong as from where we came from. The dim lighting wasn't as dull anymore and the constant buzz of the bass wasn't as hard.

The theme of the queen of hearts and other cards still continued throughout the rooms.

On the rosewood wall hung a painting of several guys wearing costumes of the guards of the Queen of Hearts.

But instead of guarding they were guarding a king of spades. Jude was dressed as that particular royal.