chapter twenty-three - Prince Charming's Brother

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."

- Cassandra Clare

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"I think it'll be nice for you to live in one of the dorms. To experience the full life of a student. Without the massive amounts of debts, of course," he said, "Not to mention it must feel suffocating to feel Payden breathing in your neck twenty-four seven."

I shrugged, "What if this is a test of him?"

He laughed as we went left, "This isn't a test, sunshine. I quite know how possessive my brother is and can be. He was even like that when we were younger with his books. He wasn't quite the social one of the two of us."

I wanted to say I felt like one to Payden, but I pushed those words down.

We stopped in front of the girls' bathroom, "Now. You'd better go to the toilet now and when you come out, you can tell me what your decision is, sunshine. Remember; I am only trying to help you."

I pushed the door open and walked straight to the washbasin. When I waved my hand in front of the dispenser, my other hand caught the soap. I was scrubbing my hands while thinking about my decision.

If I moved into a dorm, Payden would be furious and he would probably kill someone. But if I stayed, I would end up being killed eventually. It was only a matter of time before I do something he doesn't like which sets him off.

"And?" Alexander asked, "What is your final answer?"

"I'll move."

* * * * * *

Before the rector dropped me off at my second class, which was Financial Management, he told me he would make sure I would be able to move out tonight so I wouldn't have to face Payden.

I was patiently waiting in his office, squinting my eyes to try to read the titles of the books he had in his bookshelves.

'How To Kill A Mockingbird.'

'The Scarlet Letter.'

'Robinson Crusoe.'

'Iliad.'

'Today I'm Alice.'

'Aeneid.'

'Inferno.'

'Dark-'

The rector walked through the door and I shifted my attention to the brown haired male, "I'm sorry to keep you waiting. He was being difficult."

"I'm sorry for the trouble I caused by making this choice."

He dismissed my apology by his signature waving it away, "You don't have to be apologizing for something you didn't do, sunshine, That's incorrect."

"It started all because of me, so I have part of the blame in this, sir."

"You don't have to be so formal," he said, "We're practically family."

I choked on the air, "Excuse me?"

"Like I said. We're practically family."

"I heard what you said, sir. But it's not true. It's far from true."

"So, you didn't love Payden?" he asked.

I shook my head, but somehow, I had mixed feelings about this confession.

Relieved to finally have it off my chest.

Scared for Alexander's reaction to my answer.

"That makes it so much easier for what I'm about to say then," he said as he grinned. His nice face contorted into that of a madman. It almost reminded me of Payden. But this was different.

Somehow worse.

His eyes held no glint of remorse while Payden's managed to feel a slight hint of grief for what he did. For who he killed.

"What did you do?"

----------------

A/N

Be sure to leave your questions for Scarlet and the bunch behind!