chapter thirty-six - The Application

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"A woman never forgets their first love. No matter how badly it ended."

- Paul Wesley

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

A buzz told us that we could come in."Don't be scared, kay?" Jack said as he closed the door behind me and stayed outside.

I gulped and walked through the short hallways until I reached another set of doors. These black ones were slightly ajar.

I pushed the door open even more and knocked.

I saw a silhouette of a man in a chair. I couldn't see his face due to the lighting.

"-don't care what it takes, Spade," he said, "Make it happen."

I could feel the tension in the air and it didn't lessen when he ended the call. In fact, it grew.

"Jack says you were going to apply for a job," he said, "Yet I heard nothing for the application."

"I was going to bu-" I replied but he interrupted me.

"No need for your excuses. He told me what happened and I understand. But it is settled now. You'll start tomorrow morning at eight sharp. I will see you tomorrow."

He stood up and held out his hand.

I shook it and before he let go, he said, "Be on time. I hate people who are late and it will certainly give me a bad first impression about you."

I nodded faintly and turned around.

"How did it go?" Jack asked once I closed the door.

"I-I got the job."

He smiled, "That's great! I'll bring you home now. And please, don't be afraid of the big man. He's scary but he wouldn't hurt a girl in his life. He has grown up with that ground rule."