chapter two - The First Stroke Of Midnight

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

 "My father had taught me to be nice first, because you can always be mean later, but once you've been mean to someone, they won't believe the nice anymore. So be nice , be nice, until it's time to stop being nice, then destroy them."

- Lauren K. Hamilton

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

When I unlocked my phone when I woke up, I saw had twenty-seven texts and eleven missed calls.

But the eleven missed calls were from an unknown number.

I opened the texts. They were all from friends I was with yesterday, asking if I was still alive. If I wasn't the one who was murdered.

I texted back I was still alive but I wouldn't be for long because mum was going to kill me personally because I was five minutes late after curfew.

They laughed.

The jerks.

I got out of my comfortable bed and walked downstairs where my dad was watching the news.

"Hi dad," I said, "How was last night? I hope she didn't keep you up too long."

"She didn't, Scarlet. But after she went to bed, I watched the news and that's what kept me up."

"Why? What happened, daddy?" I asked, suddenly worried.

He nodded towards the television.

Breaking News was on.

"Tell us what happened last night in Sanstfield, Officer Garwell," the news anchor said.

"There has been a murder. We can't exactly tell what happened, since we are still unsure, but what we do know is that the killer left a note at the victim saying he will make sure his Cinderella will never be harmed by this scum. He also left a scarlet handkerchief with him."

"Do you know his name?"

"The victim's name is Aidan Amando Ritter," the officer replied.

The news anchor smiled and thanked him for coming before turning to the camera again.

What he said after that, I didn't hear anymore, because my environment was drowned out by one single thought.

Aidan.

I had seen him yesterday and now he was dead.

Killed.

Murdered.

"Are you okay, Scars?" my dad asked.

"I-I'm fine. It's just that I knew him." ...He was my boyfriend.

Not that I was going to say that last part out loud, though. My father knew I had a boyfriend but if he remembered it was Aidan, who was killed, he would go all protective over me. And that was the last thing I wanted.

But I guessed life really hated me at this moment, because my dad asked if Aidan wasn't my boyfriend.