chapter seventeen - Ever After

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Fairy Tales always have a happy ending.' That depends... on whether you are Rumpelstiltskin or the Queen."

- Jane Yolen

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

I was woken by people shouting around me. That was when I started panicking. People weren't supposed to be in the house...

Unless it meant it I was being saved.

But I couldn't stay conscious long enough due to the blood loss and soon the black void welcomed me once again.

The next time I opened my eyes, I heard a faint beeping to my left and saw a machine that was monitoring my heart. I looked a bit further than the machine, only to be met with two familiar brown eyes.

"How are you feeling, hun," he asked.

"F-fine," I croaked.

He noticed my throat was dry and handed me a cup of water.

"Do you remember anything, Scarlet? About that man?" he questioned.

His voice seemed detached and robotic. This must be the 'officer' in him coming out.

"His name," I said, "It's Payden Caddell, Nate."

Nate cursed under his breath and before he left the room, he said he was going to make a phone call to Interpol, or whatever that could be.

* * * * * *

Nate came back inside with a scowl on his face before quickly changing it into a soft smile.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"He isn't in the country anymore. He probably was smart enough to leave to the Emirates, where we can't get to him."

"But you'll catch him, right?" I voiced out my thoughts.

He scratched his slightly greyish-bearded chin, "We'll try anything we can, hun, but there is no hundred percent possibility he'll show himself in either the States or Europe. Every cop is looking for him now. But if he even sets one foot towards you, we'll catch him in put him behind bars for forever, hun. Don't worry about that."

"Are we going home after all of this, Nate?"

He nodded, "They said they wanted to keep you one night after you woke up, which is now, and then they would have sent you back home again."

* * * * * *

Nate tapped on my shoulder to tell me we arrived back home. I smiled sleepily and got out of the police car.

The seven-hour flight drained me of most of my energy, making me want to fall onto my bed and sleep twenty-four hours long.

When I entered my room, I froze on the spot.

Another note.

I opened it.

'My little Cinderella,

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I must stay away. They are currently combing out every house in Paris to find me while I am writing this, so I must be quick.

Since I cannot take care of you, tell your uncle to take over my task,' I scoffed. He didn't take care of me in any way; he bloody stabbed me when I was stubborn enough to give in -to break-.

'I hope we can meet once again. Maybe not soon, maybe after a couple of years -after all of this has gone down a bit- and then we can talk like civilized people.

I love you, Scarlet.

Always Yours

P.C.'