chapter thirty-two - 'Off With Their Heads'

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"There are six reasons anyone does anything: Love. Faith. Greed. Boredom. Fear. Revenge."

- Ally Carter

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

A/N

This chapter is partially written in third person.

The men got the sign they were all patiently waiting for.

It was a message with the infamous quote of the Red Queen.

'Off with their heads!' it said.

Each of the men took in their assigned positions.

One of them kept Jude busy while another was thinking what he could steal in order to make the King chase after him.

"I really can't stay now, Spade Four," Jude said, "I need to get home."

"Of course. But I wanted to ask you something about that next big project of ours. How long do you think it will take?" the decoy -Spade Four- asked.

"Perhaps seve-" Jude got disrupted by a hard tug at his pocket of his jeans.

"I'll tell you later!" the King shouted as he ran behind the man who stole his wallet -the laminated play card included-.

Jude was focused on the hooded man he was tailing. So, of course he didn't see the car that was racing at a high speed coming from behind the corner.

With that being said, The King was no longer crowned.

The Ace got a message, confirming it had happened successfully. He smiled, knowing this was another way to break the young girl's spirit.

He didn't feel an ounce of guilt. Instead he felt a little twang of remorse shoot through his chest. The King was a good hit-man, so he had lost one of his best. That was the only thing he regretted.

Now, he had to start looking through files of other men to see who was suitable for the suddenly vacant place.

He got out of his office chair to get ready to visit the hospital, knowing they would rush him there after it had happened, in order not to attract unwanted attention.

* * * * * *

A/N

This is Scarlet's Point Of View again.

I got a call from some unknown number. Jude used to tell me that they were prank calls, but a small voice in the back of my head said this might be different.

"Hello?" I asked tentatively, "Who am I speaking with?"

"Hello miss Beardo," a woman answered, "I am calling from John Radcliff's Hospital. This call is about Jude Niassel. You were listed as the one they should call if something happened."

"What happened?"

"I am afraid he has been in a car accident, sweetie."

I dropped the phone and jumped in the rental car.

* * * * *

When I finally found a parking spot, I dashed through the waiting area to the info desk.

"My friend. He had an accident," I said, "Where can I find him?"

Before the brown-haired male behind the glass window could even respond, someone else replied, "He's one the intensive."