chapter eighteen - The Note

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

"Talking won't change it. But sometimes it was what she wanted most, to tell someone; often, though, she just wanted to escape those horrid feelings, to escape herself, so there was no pain."

 - Melissa Murr

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ

I just couldn't be happier on the day of my graduation. Due to me missing a lot of schoolwork, I had to double my senior-year.

It was nerve-wrecking, too. Especially since I was going to be one of the first to be called up due to my last name starting with a 'b'.

When I was handed my diploma, I got off the stage.

The moment I unrolled the paper, a note fell out.

It couldn't be.

Not now.

With trembling hands, I unfolded it.

'My dear Cinderella,

I am so proud of you. You graduated!

Since I know you wanted to study Economics and Management, I asked a close friend of mine if you could enrol in his university. He said you could, so pack your clothes, my darling, because you are going to study at Oxford!

If you're having any troubles, you can always go to the rector. Mention my name if a certain teacher isn't passing you with flying colours.

Someone will pick you up tomorrow to bring you to the airport.

Don't dare tell anyone about this -about us-, love. We both know what will happen to your uncle if you do.

Until then, my princess.

Always yours.

P.C.'

I couldn't believe it. I thought he would leave me alone.

My brain tried to comprehend the overload of information I had just received.

One; I graduated.

Two; I got a note from Payden.

Three; he told me I was going to study abroad - whether I liked it or not-.

Four; someone was going to pick me up tomorrow.

Five; he would wait for me.

Six; he threatened me not to tell anyone.

This was a hectic day and today had only just started.