Agony

There were others after that but it seemed to go on charming enough before a break for luncheon. Emory jumped down off the dais as soon as everyone was dismissed and held an elbow out for my arm. It was a statement, I was sure, though most of his motivation was only because he wanted to. When I slid my arm into his our skin sizzled.

I turned to Clory but she was waving Amelia down so I smiled at them both as they headed towards the back of the Keep. I wasn't sure what they were up to but they were in good spirits so I had an idea.

We made our slow way up the stairs into the Keep and out into the courtyard. Stopping here and there Emory accepted well wishes. He exchanged small talk about the long winter and the promise of a productive summer.

Emory was polite in regards to me, when people had the nerve to ask. He didn't give away many details about how they found me but would only say things like. "She's been a welcome distraction in the tedium of winter."

This made me bite my tongue at the double meaning behind his words, his fingers squeezing my hand. With regret he would tell them they had not found any information. "Our missives haven't been returned but it's still early in the year."

I was polite and courteous. I knew I shouldn't blame them for their curiosity though it made me uncomfortable. Even I had to admit it was a strange tale. They would ask me how I was feeling and I would tell them much improved. I would give a few details about just how ill I had been when I first woke up.

Telling them about the first day I discovered my clothes fit and how it had been such a relief was a useful deterrent. It managed to get people off the uncomfortable subjects. I felt Emory's muscle tense up remembering the tailor's appointment and smirked.

Everyone was sympathetic and polite but I could feel them watching me. They discussed my story as if I were some tragic heroine of fiction come to Cynthera in the flesh.

"You are a tragic heroine in the flesh." Emory mocked me somewhat serious when I expressed my feelings about it.

We made it to the packed Great Hall and were walking up the center aisle, our elbows still locked. I leaned towards him with an innocent smile and tilted my head so no one would hear my quiet voice but him.

"If you encourage that kind of thinking in any way I won't take you into my mouth for a month." I threatened before straightening back up. A fixed smile on my face and waved as if we were having the most proper conversation in the world.

Emory stumbled.

He caught himself but it was enough to jerk my elbow before he righted himself. The look of complete and utter shock schooled into polite interest. The corners of his mouth were quivering.

"I will be sure to keep that in mind, my Lady." His tone casual and refined but his elbow had bent tight onto mine. He assisted me up the stairs and walked me to my chair.

"Excuse me." He said to his mother and then headed back towards the kitchens.

Emmeline looked questioning at him. She turned to me and saw the humor in my features. "What did you do to Emory?"

"Oh, nothing; just ruffled his feathers a bit."

She threw her head back and laughed. She wouldn't know what I had said or what I had done but she understood the meaning.

When Emory walked back he had straightened his shirt. His sword belt was sitting different on his hips. I resisted the urge to smile. I had ruffled his feathers alright. He sat down as fast as he could.

The luncheon went on longer than usual but the entire Great Hall was near to overflowing. I stuck to watered wine but Emory had asked for mead which was usually something he reserved for dinner.