I Lost A Son But Not Forever

I laid over Mirage for what seemed like an eternity. I missed him already. However I knew that he had to die even if I hadn't killed him.

He was sick! He was very sick. I had seen his eyes. I had seen how they looked around yet he couldn't concentrate. I saw the hollowness he had and I couldn't stand that. His life had to end but now I felt a part of my heart missing.

I knew that I wasn't Mirage or Poultice or Keen's mother but that didn't mean I didn't have any emotion feeling to him. I felt like his mother since Riversong had died so young and Stonestep hadn't care about them. Nightsecret had died right after Keen had been born and his father was never around to care for them. She was their parents and she had failed them!

"Starlight," whispered a voice. I lifted my head and realized that there was ash all around me. I whimpered a bit as one fleck landed on my nose. I raised a paw to throw it off before my eyes focused on what was in front of me.

"Starlight," the voice whispered again and this time I rose to my paws. I lashed my tail and the wind ruffled my chest fur.

I looked up and saw a large white yet silvery wind of colored she-wolf. Her eyes shone and she licked her lips. Her ears were shoved forward. She strode forward and I skidded backwards, afraid to be in her presence. She was the most beautiful she-wolf I had ever seen and she was majestic and wise. I could just tell.

The she-wolf looked from me to Mirage. She lowered beside Mirage and touched her nose to his ear. Suddenly the spirit of Mirage rose from his body. He yipped and danced around the majestic she-wolf. He suddenly looked to me and brightened.

"Starlight!" He surged toward me and licked my muzzle. I fell backwards and realized he must have gained some strength.

"Oh hello little one," I murmured before I licked his ear. Tears filled my eyes but I didn't want to cry in front of him.

"It's alright," Mirage assured before he pushed forward and weaved around the large she-wolf. He didn't even reach up to her underbelly despite his growing size. She was almost as large as Tony but she had a thicker pelt, probably meant for the Canadian Wilderness.

"Why is it alright," I rasped as I saw how happy he was. He should be happily playing with his brother! He shouldn't be going to Starbound at this young age. And what made it even worse was that I killed him!

"Because Ivory is taking me home," he explained as his tail wagged. "Right Ivory?" He looked up at her with large unblinking eyes.

She nodded and turned her head. He charged upward before he looked over his shoulder. "Good-bye Starlight!" He waved a paw and I waved back.

The wind suddenly took him and he disappeared. I looked up to the wolf and I blinked my eyes and tilted my head in confusion. "Ivory so that's your name," I murmured as I nodded my head a bit.

The wolf shook her head. "No," she murmured without speaking and I wondered if she was a telepath or if she was communicating like this because she was dead. "You will call me by a different name. You will call me mother."