12. Landon in London

Jessie's POV

"We'll be sitting together." Landon said as he put an arm around my shoulder.

I widened my eyes at his sudden presence as I was too caught up at Edward's complaints about flying commercial.

"Okay." I nodded at him before my plane ticket which was slipped into my passport was snatched by Landon as he examined it.

"At least it's first class." He commented as we entered the plane and was greeted by the air attendants.

"Have you ever flied commercial?" I asked him, curious at his response.

He shook his head at me.

"Have you?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Twice actually." I replied.

I remembered it was that time when I was in freshmen year, when my parents were getting a divorce. I had seen my mom with a luggage outside of my house and she was entering a cab so I jumped into the cab without any second thoughts and we had flown to Seol together. And then grandma went to Seol and dragged me back home to New York using a commercial flight. That was twice dark memories of flying commercial.

"How was it like?" He turned to me as we were seated on one of the comfortable first class seat.

"I didn't really get to take in the surrounding because I was crying the whole ride." I retorted as the dark and cold memory lingered into my mind causing me to frown involuntarily without realising.

"What happened? Were you trying to run away from home?" He asked with a hint of humor attached in his tone.

"Something like that." I laughed.

"What? For real?"

I looked at his genuine interest as his widened eyes bulged, making him look confused and curious at the same time and I couldn't help but chuckle lightly at his bewildered expression.

"Who knew I could be quite a rebel." I retorted before I told him everything about my flight to Seol with explanations as to why that had happened.

He casted an apologetic look at me and I waved him off easily and told him it was fine.

"I didn't know you had been through quite a lot, I used to think that you're living a perfect life." He confessed.

I snorted at his confession and shook my head as I looked at the ground.

"My life has never been perfect, not even once after my parents' divorce." I muttered in a softer tone, trying hard not jump back into any dark thoughts about my cold past.

"Yeah, me too."

I averted my eyes to look at him as he shook his head and a humourless smile etched on his face.

I realised it was actually a pained smile.

"At least your dad didn't get married." I retorted almost immediately and I suddenly felt guilty about my sudden retort.

"But still, knowing that your mother ran away doesn't make it any better when your dad doesn't remarry." He said and his sentence caught me off guard.

Mother? Running away?

He must have noticed my confused look because he shook his head and laughed humourlessly.

"What the media says is all a lie, with my dad's power and his arrogance it's no doubt he's able to cover the truth with all the false rumours." He explained bitterly with a hint of anger in his tone.