3. Home

The Reason-Hoobastank

Angel With a Shotgun-The Cab

Fire-Sleeping With Sirens

When You Can't Sleep At Night-Of Mice & Men

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"How was your day hon?" My mom asks as we drive down the main freeway. I don't hear her until she calls my name a few times.

"Huh? What?" I ask clueless. My thoughts were...other places.

"I said, how was your day. Is everything alright?" My moms eyes flick from me to the road continuously.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smile. My thoughts sthray again when she stops attempting at a conversation. I feel bad because it seems like I'm pushing her away. I'm not though, I just can't get that damn boy out of my head. Harry Styles, what was that supposed to mean anyway? My eyes are open? I think back to the beginning of fourth period.

"Well Kassie Morgan, my eyes are open."

I sigh heavily and look to my hands. Its a joke, I'm part a big joke they want to pull. I mean how can I trust people who didn't even talk to me for years?

"Heavy sighs for heavy thoughts." My mom says cautiously.

"Yeah well, I lashed out at a fellow classmate." I sigh, my hand running through my hair.

"Oh, honey, What happened?" Concern spreads across her features.

"Nothing, he was just being nice and I was in a bad mood. I feel like an idiot." I squeeze my fists together.

"Look, no one said this was going to be easy. You just need to accept that you're going to be upset for a while but at the same time just remind yourself why you're mad." She smiles.

"I know, its just I don't know how to." I frown.

"I learned something in a course in college. Think about why you're mad or upset. Got it?" She asks. Cancer, death, dying, out of time. I nod.

"Okay, not think about what could happen if you let those things control you." She says. Yelling, screaming, crying, self-pity. I nod again and let her know I'm ready.

"Now think about the consequenses." She says. Self-loathing, stress.

"So now that you've got that, what could happen if you didn't let it control you? What are the good things?" I sigh because I know the answer already. I could be happy, perhaps even make a friend, Harry.

"I'm guessing that sigh means you've come to a verdict." My mom says knowingly.

"Your guess is correct." I smile and kiss her cheek.

"Thanks." I say while getting out of the car and walking towards the house.

"Anytime!" She calls from the car. My feet take me through the door and to the empty house. I walk into the kitchen for a water bottle then to my room.

My room is oddly clean. I shrug and sit at my desk and begin my homework. I have four problems from Math, a poem in creative writing and three chapters to read from World History. I sigh as I begin on my math homework.

***

Half an hour goes by and I'm on my laptop googling pictures of Dave Franco. I can not focas on my Pre-Cal homework. My stomach grumbles randomly and I realize I haven't eaten since breakfast. Downstairs I hear the clattering off dishes as I walk down. I'm met with my mother cooking in a wok. Her red apron is one I made her after a summer with my great-grandmother. It has an embroidered red flower near the botton and is lined with red ribbon. It was very simple but took most of the summer. I smile at the happy memories that a mere piece of cloth brings. My mother meets my adoring gaze with a similar look.