Chapter fourteen: Letters

Short chapter

I watched her standing there perfectly calm with the sunlight hitting her face perfectly. I couldn't look away, every time I wanted to say something I was afraid something completely dumb would come out. I scratched the back of my neck and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Um..would you like to come in?" I asked, opening the door wider.

She was a bit hesitant at first but finally decided to come. She took a look around, admiring the paintings I had made.

"I like what you did to the place" She said looking around.

"Thanks" I softly smiled at her.

I looked down at the floor trying to process on what's going on, she's really here...she's standing right here, in my house!

"Look, Ethan..I just wanted to come by and say sorry" she said

"I-its okay, I guess" I shrugged

"No, really." She said "All of those years in my cell, I just wanted to pick up the phone and call you"

"Why didn't you?!" I asked angrily.

She looked at me then at the ground.

"I'm sorry," I said. "After you left I was just so...lost. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have raised my voice..but why? Why didn't you call me?"

"I was scared, Ethan. I was scared that if I called you, you wouldn't be the same. I was scared that if we would've tried to make it work, you would've just ended up waisting you're time"

I stayed silent. Not knowing what to say.

"Here" she said reaching down in her purse, she grabbed out a small rectangular shoe box and passed it to me.

"What's this?" I asked

"Every letter you wrote to me, I wrote back, but I just didn't mail them or anything, because I'm a bad writer and I just wanted to forget about the bad that was happening. I wanted to focus on the good, but there wasn't a single thing good about loosing you, Ethan"

As I was opening the box she placed her hand on mine.

"I don't want you to read them now. I want you to read them when time is convenient and when you feel like you wanna talk to someone but you can't. If you know what I mean" she raised her eyebrows.

I nodded my head.

"I-I'll just go" she said clutching her purse.

"Wait don't go" I blurted out.

"Yeah, I have too. My moms expecting me right about now" she said glancing at the clock on the wall.

"So, you haven't seen her yet?"

"No, I just needed to get this off my chest before I went to go see her." She said. "Oh, and Tonight my mom said she was cooking a big, dinner and if you want to come...you're more than welcomed." She smiled.

"Oh, alright...I'll be there" I said holding the door for her.

As she was walking out I closed the door behind her with a smile on my face. I looked down at the box in my hand and opened it, even though Sara said to wait.

I took one letter out and slowly unfolded it. It was one of her first

Dear, Ethan

I know you're probably as heart broken as I am, but like you said it's only, Four years. When I see you again I'll be beaming with joy, but I guess for right now is goodbye.
I think of you every day when I wake up and every night before I go to bed, most of the times I get up and my hand is so close to touching the phone, but I can't ever seem to call, so that's why I'm writing this letter, that way you won't have to hear me cry and weep. I seem to get all my feeling out with just a piece of paper and pencil, And to be honest I think it's better if I do it this way, instead of you not understanding what I'm saying through a phone, I have one more hour until it's time for me to start my day, but before I end this I just wanted to say I love you, and I hope after all these years you feel the same way you did before I went in.

A single tear ran down my cheek.

As I was about to open another one, I heard a car outside pull up. Cassandra. I quickly slipped the letter back in the box and ran upstairs to my room, I tucked it under my bed and went back down to open the door.