Chapter One

"Sittin' on da toilet!" Dawn sang, jumping up and down in the blocky cauldron. I was watching cops and robbers on a boring rainy day, something I always tend to do.

Adam and Dawn had broken up almost a year ago, but I still enjoyed Dawn. I heard that Adam had a new girlfriend, Alesa. I followed her on Instagram, and she was very sweet.

Besides that, let me introduce myself. I'm Crystal Matthews. I'm 13, and my sister and I were brought here after my parents were in a freak car accident 3 years ago.

Just then, the bedroom door opened, and my sister, Sierra, popped in.

"Sissy," she started, "what's today's date?" I paused the cops and robbers and went back to my home screen, where I clicked on the calendar button.

"May 16th, 2014." I chanted.

"Thanks," Sierra squeaked as she left the room, closing the door behind her.

Sierra's 7, and she was only 4 when the accident happened. It scarred her. She only made one friend at the orphanage, besides the caretakers. Her best friend, Lily, experienced a similar accident, and they bonded because of it.

I sighed, putting my almost dead iPhone on charge. Just in time, too.

"Children!" Mother Annie called, "It's time for supper!"

Yes, we call her Mother Annie. Ever since her last 3 pregnancies had all been miscarriages, and she lost the ability to have children, she wanted us to be known as her own. We didn't mind it, either. We knew the pain of losing a loved one, born or not. Besides that, Mother Annie was a proper woman. She was very nice and caring, but had a few rules of her own. Either way, it worked out quite well.

I followed the enormous crowd of little girls and the tweens as we all hurried downstairs to the dining room for supper.

"Sit next to me!" my best friend, Carmen, squealed. I gladly slid in the seat beside her as Mother Annie and the two chefs placed our plates in front of us.

"Eat up, children. It's your favorite roast chicken!" Chef Caroline chanted, squeezing her hands together in delight. She was also known as Nana Carol.

---

After dinner and our showers, Lily, Sierra, Carmen, and I all crowded into the little bedroom we shared. There was a total of 20 girls at the orphanage, and they were split upon five bedrooms. Lucky for us, we all got put together.

"Quick, guys, Mother Annie will be here to tuck us in any minute!" I said in a rushed tone, racing around the bedroom in my nightgown.

"Bedtime is at 9:30 sharp for all little girls!" Carmen said, imitating Mother Annie's voice and hand motions. Lily and Sierra giggled as they climbed into bed. Well, Carmen and I weren't little girls, we were both 13. But hey, whatever makes everyone happy.

Mother Annie came in 2 minutes later, tucking in the little girls first before wishing Carmen and I goodnight. She turned the light out and closed the door.

My eyes shut for a few minutes, letting my body relax. Then they snapped open in realization.

Tomorrow was Saturday.

Adoption day.