➽ Track Nine (Pete's POV).

Track Nine (Pete’s POV): I know this is belated, but we love you back.

(April 27th, 2008)

It was Patrick Stump’s 24th birthday, and we were all set to surprise him.

Joe, Andy and I had talked all about the birthday preparations a week before the actual day. Andy was assigned for the food and venue, Joe was assigned to take care of the guests and decorations (which were not very festive, but it was enough since we had always known that Patrick prefers simple stuff), and I was assigned for the drinks and miscellaneous details (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Our manager and Rachelle also agreed to be part of the surprise party for the four-eyed little guy. We were all getting ready in the studio – since I had called up Patrick and told him that the band was going to have another meeting in the studio that day and pretended to forget about his birthday – and had set up this throne-like seat for him that will be used for one of my plans for him. Joe and Andy had laughed with me as I told them all about it and they told me that Patrick was going to get mad for sure after that. I wouldn’t mind though.

I was really excited for the party that we were going to throw for Patrick, but what made me feel quite uncomfortable was Donnie McKenzie showing up in the studio. I knew that I told Joe that it was fine to invite anybody, but I never expected that he would invite Donnie as well. Yes, Donnie was Patrick’s best friend since high school, not to mention that she was also close with Andy, Joe, James and Rachelle, but still, it really felt weird whenever she was around. And knowing that my girlfriend and my ex-girlfriend wouldn’t go along together very well (based from what had happened in the Chinese restaurant), the party might be ruined. But I really hope that it wouldn’t end up that way.

And speaking of my girlfriend…

My phone started ringing. I answered it right away after knowing that it was Alexis calling me. “Hey, babe. Where are you?” I asked her, not waiting for her to say anything. It was nearly ten in the morning and Patrick was about to show up. She had to be there before Patrick’s arrival.

“Pete, baby, I think I’m going to be late in your surprise party,” Alexis answered, sighing sadly. “I mean, I really want to be there with you and join in, but my makeup artist arrived late earlier which was why my photo shoot was delayed. I might arrive there by noon.”

I sighed sadly, disappointed that she wouldn’t be on the studio on time. But since I knew that I couldn’t do anything about it, I didn’t insist anymore (because it might make me sound like a clingy boyfriend who couldn’t function on my own, and of course I didn’t want that). “It’s alright, Alexis. Just promise me that you’d be here, okay?” I asked her. “It wouldn’t be the same without you.”

“You’re such a sweetie,” Alexis cooed, and I couldn’t help but smirk. “Yes, I promise that I’d be there with you. All you have to do is wait for a few hours, okay? I’ll be there.”

“Okay. That’s all I wanted to hear,” I replied with a small smile on my face. “Take care of yourself for me, babe. I love you.”

“Sure thing, baby. And anyway, I love you too. See you later.” And then she hung-up.

Sighing once more, I tucked my phone in my pocket as I approached Joe who was talking with somebody on the phone. “…what the fuck do you mean you can’t come?!” I heard Joe screech at whoever the caller was. “You have to come here! James said that we might start recording today, and how do you think can we fucking record any song without the lead vocalist?!”

I could barely hear what the caller replied. “Is that Patrick?” I mouthed at Joe, who was fuming mad. Joe just glared at me and raised an eyebrow as if saying, ‘Who do you think it is?! Who else is our lead vocalist?!’. Rolling my eyes, I mouthed to him again, “Put it in speakerphone!”