12: Bang in the Night

Garroth's POV:

I was snuggled next to Aphmau, her breathing calmingly. It was late...that's all I know. When I'm around her, I don't care what time it is.

"Garroth?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

She sat up, meaning it was a bit serious. I sat up next to her while she took my hand. She sighed.

"Why do you love me?"

"What do you mean," I asked, a light blush on my face.

"You've told me twice now that you love me. Why?"

I smiled and kiss her hand.

"Aph, you're my world. You're beautiful and kind...no matter who it is, your willing to help them."

"Garroth..."

"You're a hard worker, you're independent, you're brave, witty...Aph, I could go on..."

She smiled a bit but, looked down at her knees.

"I was thinking about what you said at the docks," She said. "About, I need to know what I want..."

"You don't need to have the same answer Aphmau."

"But, I do. I really do," She persisted. "Garroth, I really do like you...a lot. I can see us together, loving each other. I see us happy but..."

"You're scared?"

She nodded;

"With Shad and Aaron...what if something happens to you?"

I pulled her closer to me, not wanting her to be frightened about that thought.

"I'm not Shad or Aaron...it could be different."

"What if it's not?"

"It will be."

She looked up at me, tears swelling in her eyes. I hated seeing her like this. I kissed her, she to only kiss back. I used my thumb to wipe away the escaping tears. She truly was my world...and the world can't forever be raining.

"Aphmau, I'll always be here and you know that," I say. "Whatever you want us to be, I'm fine with it. As long as I'm by your side. Whether it be friends or more, I want to be there."

She smiled.

"Garroth, I-"

Crash.

Our heads snap back to the door. It came from downstairs. I slowly got out of bed and put my hand on the doorknob.

"You stay here," I whispered.

"But-"

"Stay here."

She sighed but, agreed. Knowing that I wouldn't give in. I opened the door, grabbing my sword from right outside of the door. I silently, walked down, trying not to let the stairs creak in return. Once my feet touched the main floor, it was dead silent. I could here the crickets outside and the branches blowing in the wind. I tighten the grip on my sword, not liking the setting at all. I heard a step. I turned to the kitchen. A few more. The living room. Before I could think;

"What about me?"

I was sent flying, hitting the wall. I grunted, trying to regain my strength and composure. I looked up to see a shadow knight, looking down at me. It's ruby red helmet glistening in the moonlit room. I forced myself up, immediately becoming light headed. It wasn't long and I felt being pushed back against the wall. The knights grip was tight and it felt like it was burning a hole in me. I didn't show pain. I couldn't. Before he could do anything, I summon any strength I had and punched him in the face. He fell, not facing me. I saw that his helmet flew off. The scary part was, it had a large dent. Did I cause that?