13: Guilt

Laurance's POV:

I felt my eyes open, as the morning sun peaked into the-

Wait, sun?

I look around to see myself in a home. Not just any home, Aphmau's. The odd thing was, it looked completely different. Maybe because the residence expanded but, still. It was a bit...weird. I sat up, immediately regretting it. My head was in major pain from the battle from last night. I groaned, rubbing my forehead, trying to make it stop. It did once my mind realized I was sitting up. Once I was able to take in everything, I looked around the room without leaving the couch I was on. The living room was bigger, a fire place, two chairs and a small table were in the room as well. It mad sit homey. I almost jumped once I saw a certain blonde on the chair fast asleep. His palm was holding up his face while a soft snore was coming from him. I chuckled a bit, seeing him like this. I remembered Garroth always snore when he was exhausted in the guard shelter.

The light seemed to bother him too. His face scrunched up and soon, his eyes opened lazily. He slouched back trying to wake himself up. He looked at me and his eyes went wide.

"L-Laurance," He says, smiling.

"H-Hey..." I say, unsure on how to respond.

He came over to me, hesitant. As if I would hurt him...I did. I saw tears come to his and I hate to admit that some came to mine. My brother was in front of me...

I couldn't wait. I stood up and hugged him tightly. I let my sobs come out onto his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," I sobbed repeatedly. "I hurt you! I hurt our friends! I don't deserve to be in front of you right now!"

"Laurance, it's okay," He says. "It wasn't you."

I let go of him and looked into his eyes that always used to calm me back when I was first a shadow knight.

"But it was! I had control over my actions! I wanted...I wanted to stab you! Last night was no excuse!"

"L-Laurance...?"

I looked behind me and I saw a tired Aphmau in a purple nightgown. Her hair was unbrushed and bags were under her eyes.

"Hey Aph..."

She ran over to me and hugged me tightly.

"I'm so happy to see you," She says into my chest.

"We both are," Garroth says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Laurance, you're here now. Safe. That monster last night wasn't you."

I smiled weakly at them. I still felt incredible guilt for what I did.

"How about we just enjoy the morning to get your mind off of things," Aphmau suggested.

"S-Sure," I say.

She clapped and ran off into the kitchen.

"It's wonderful to have you back again," Garroth says. "I missed you..."

"I'm not me again, yet," I say, looking at him. "I still have shadow knight in my blood and memory. It's going to take more than just last night for it to be gone forever."

He frowned and looked down.

"Do you feel different at least," He asked.

"A little. I feel...lighter."

"Than it's at least a start."

"Boys! Come help me!"

Garroth chuckled and joined Aphmau in the kitchen. I followed.

•••

It's amazing of what can happen in a few hours. Let's say, everyone knows I'm back. Apparently, Cadenza got word right after the fight and came down as soon as possible. She's sobbing on my shoulder, her fire-like hair was messy from her horse ride.

"Don't you ever leave like that again," She sobbed out.

I smiled down at her and wiped away her tears.

"I won't. I promise."

It took her awhile to calm down and then, she got on her serious face.

"Okay," She says, placing her hands on her hips. "Hair cut is in order. Your outfit is so three years ago..." She looked back at Aphmau, Garroth, Dante, and Katelyn. "...I thought I would come here without work!"

"Sorry," Dante chuckled.

"Ugh! Whatever!"

She took me by the wrist and pulled me along to Aph's basement.

•••

Aphmau's POV:

"Do you think he'll be okay," Katelyn asked, showing concern.

"He will, in time," I sigh. "We just have to be the friends he deserves this time."

Katelyn and Dante nodded.

"Travis is sending word to Vylad as we speak," Katelyn reported. "With him here, it'll help."

"I sure hope so..."

Dante and Katelyn leave Garroth and I alone.

"It's Laurance. He'll be fine," He assures me.

"What if he won't be," I say, sternly.

He sighed and leaned against the wall.

"Somehow, he will."

I came up to him and rested myself on him. He felt warm...especially when he wrapped his arms around me.

"What's the life we live," I asked.

He chuckled;

"A long one."

I giggled as he drew circles on my back. He kissed the top of my head and leaned his head back. Then, I remembered what Hyria told me...

I can't tell him.

Not yet.

Word Count
855