19: A Sudden Power

Aphmau's POV:

Garroth the past couple of days has been reading Esmund's journal like I told him too. He has been very interested in learning about his relic. He would sit on the couch or at they dock on his time off from Patrol and being...well...you know. (I'm not comfortable quite yet with the word but, he's okay with that.) He still worried for me, about the nightmare. I still haven't told him about the nightmare or what Hyria really told me.

I decided to visit her that weekend, to see Alina and Lilith. Garroth suggested that he come as well but, I insisted he stay at Phoenix Drop.

"You sure you'll be okay?" He asked, holding my hands.

"My word, Garroth!" Laurance said, rolling his eyes with a smirk. "She's Aphmau for crying out loud. Give her a break."

"I know but-"

"Nope! Too bad!" Laurance said.

Garroth sighed, giving up, knowing how Laurance is.

"You two be nice to each other, okay?" I asked, giggling a bit. My purple hood was draped over my shoulders for warmth since it seemed to be getting colder the past couple of days. "I don't want to come back having Phoenix Drop be split in two."

"You can count on us Aph!" Laurance says, hooking his arm around Garroth's shoulder. "Besides, since this whole relationship thing, I'm sure it'll be nice to actually catch up with him!"

I got on my horse, ready to go. I mentally thanked Laurance and he smiled back, getting the message.

"Send me a message if something goes wrong, okay?" Garroth says, still concern.

I giggled, kissing him on the top of his head.

"I'll be fine, Gar. Besides, like Laurance said, I'm Aphmau for crying out loud." I say, confidently. "Love you both! Be safe!"

With that I rode off through the gates of Phoenix Drop. I looked back to see them both waving goodbye, smiling.

•••

Hyria's house still looked the same. Comforting, heart warming with a hint of mystery to it. The large enchanted trees were as lush as ever, barely blocking the light seeping in.

"Mommy!" My two girls exclaimed, giving me a big hug.

"Ah, my girls! How are you?"

"Great! Grandma is teaching us how to bake and to play some new games!" Lilith explained, excitedly.

"Oh, really!? That sounds fun!"

"Mommy will love it!" Alina exclaimed.

"Well, if it isn't the Angel herself." Hyria giggled. I got up and gave her a hug. "Your two girls have been lovely. You seriously didn't have to worry."

"I thought it was about time to visit them." I say, smiling, looking back to see them playing in the fields. "Besides, it gives me a chance to ask a few questions."

"I see. Well, make yourself comfortable first."

"Thank you, Hyria." I say, softly.

•••

The girls were in bed for the night after a afternoon of playing. They seemed to enjoy me being around, which made me happy. Today made me want to bring them home more and to kiss them goodnight every night but, with the Shadow army growing, I have to keep them here. I thought of all of it, sitting in a birch wood chair at the dining table, waiting for tea that Hyria insisted she make. I didn't disagree, having so much stress, without my friends being here, it would help.

"Here." Hyria said, setting down a cup of tea with a pot of the rest. "It's not your boyfriend but, it's something that'll make it better a little."

I liked these moments of Hyria. She acted like, a mother. Kind and caring, with a hint of teasing.

"Thanks." I say, sipping a bit, making sure the tea didn't burn my lip.

"Now, what is it that you wanted to ask me?" She asked.

I sighed and explained to her the nightmare. How detailed it all was and how I still remembered everything. I needed to know if it was important.

"I don't know, Lady Aphmau." She said.

"...what?"

"I'm being serious. My memory has never come across this."

I moaned, messaging my temples. This is the one thing I really needed answers to.

"I apologize, m'lady but, my old mind can't remember."

"...Should I at least be worried?"

"Yes but, you shouldn't dwell on it, my dear. I might as well been a dream."

"Maybe..."

•••

"Mommy...?"

I sat up in my bed, Alina was at my door. I stretched a bit and asked;

"Yes, honey?"

"Do you feel that?"

Confused, I motioned for her to sit on my bed. She sat on my lap.

"Feel what?"

"The ground is shaking, Mommy."

"Shaking as in earthquake or shaking as in I'm shaking you?"

"Small."

"Okay. Are you not feeling well?"

"Well, my tummy and head hurt...a bit. It's not hurting, I guess...it just feels weird."

I hold her close to my chest, trying to find a way to comfort her. Then, a ringing in my ear happened as well and my head started to throb. Oh no...

•••

Once Alina calmed down, I put her back to bed and kissed both my daughters hoping I would see them again after this. I left a note for Hyria in the morning and rode off on my horse back to Phoenix Drop. With a pounding in my head and heart, I raced down the small pebbled path. I prayed that Phoenix Drop wasn't in danger. When I was a few miles away from the village, I saw three horses come towards my direction. Confused, my horse and I came to a halt. I sighed in relief when I noticed that the three were only Katelyn, Travis, and Garroth. They seemed to be in a panic though. They trotted up to me, Katelyn saying;

"Oh thank goodness we found you! We sense something!" 

"Our ears are ringing and our heads are throbbing." Travis explained but, as he did, he clutched his head and sharply inhaled. Katelyn looked towards him concerned. "I'm fine. Look, we sense it's some power but, we don't know what." 

"It's Shad." I say. 

"How do you know?" Garroth asked, concernment traced in his voice. "It could be another threat."

"No. I remember. This is what happened the first time." I stated. We decided to start to head back while I explained. "Not another magical being could do this. It's Shad, trying to track us and our relics."

"Why?" Katelyn asked. 

"Shad may want his relic but, I think he's growing desperate." I say, rubbing my head. "We need to be ready now, for anything. I left a note for Hyria to be ready for attack."

"Okay...how are we going to do this?" Travis asked. "As of now, we only have four relic holders. That's nothing against Shad and his army. We're basically as pebble in the road."

I didn't answer...I didn't have one. 

Word Count

1139