24: Alliance

Laurance's POV:

It's been a week since Garroth has left and I'm starting to doubt Garte's honesty. If Shad were to attack then, we would've heard word from surrounding villages. Maybe even a survivor of the attack for goodness sakes. I just...Aphmau has been down lately-no. Not down. Freaking depressed. I swear, if Garroth does survive this, I'll kill him myself for causing Aphmau this much pain.

"Laurance, it's fine.", She sighed. "He's doing it to protect his family and home."

"Isn't Phoenix Drop his home? Aren't we his family?", I questioned.

"You know what I mean.", She says, glaring a bit at me. "Besides, Garroth knows how to get out of situations like this. One second, you think he's on death's row then the next, he, or someone else, saves his butt. It's like a routine for him."

"Yes but...", I looked down. "I guess I'm just worried. For you and him."

She smiled.

"Don't worry about everything. That's my job."

I sighed and sat down on the dock, her joining next to me.

"You know...he was planning to tell you here at the wedding,", I say, looking down at the water. "If it wasn't for Zane..."

"I know...it just took me a while to realize."

I fell back onto the wooden dock and looked up at the sky. A nice shade of blue seemed to be painted on it with random spots that the painter missed on the blank white canvas. I smirked, remembering something from eighteen years ago...

Flashback

"If you like her, tell her!", I shouted at the Ro'Meave. The blonde and I were having an argument, like we usually had at the beginning of our friendship. "Just because I'm going after her, doesn't mean you can't do the same."

"Don't you see, Laurance?", He asked, a slight smile. He turned to me and I saw the battle going inside his head just by the way he looked at me. "Aphmau would never see me more then a friend. I need to realize reality and live in it. Besides, I came to Phoenix Drop to hide, not to fall in love."

"...Garroth. Listen to me. You have to at least leave clues."

"Haven't I already done that?", He chuckled.

"Yes,", I say slowly, rubbing the back of my neck. "But, you know her. She need obvious-"

"I'm gonna stop you there,", He says, putting his sword into his scabbard. His smile went away and he just had...a look. A look a couldn't describe. "Aphmau can make her own decisions. If she chooses you, from your moves and gestures, that's great. It's not like their isn't more fish in the sea."

He grabbed his helmet and started to the door.

"Yes but, not like her,", I say.

"Exactly. That's why you deserve her,", He says, placing his hand on the doorknob. "You're not going to find anyone like her..."

With that he left. From that, he gained my respect and our competition began, even if he didn't want it. I did it my way, he did it his way. A perfect, fun friendship seemed to spark at that moment and, I wouldn't have traded it.

Flashback Over

"I wish I could tell you everything, Aph. I really wish I could,", I chuckled, having Aphmau respond with, "Why can't you?" "Because, I feel as if you would just...fall in love with him more."

She smiled.

"That's sweet, Laurance."

"It's true. He's always loved you, Aph. As long as I have known him, that is."

She looked back at me and opened her mouth but, am interruption came from Kenmur and Emmalyn. Their voices yelled out from the top of the hill;

"Aphmau, Laurance! You have to see this!"

Aphmau rolled her eyes and whispered;

"I have literally no normal days."

We scrambled to our feet and ran with the couple. They lead us to the treehouse and joined the others, with Levin and Malachi as well.

"Boys? What are you two doing-"

"We came this morning to surprise you but,", Malachi tried to explain. "...this happened."

Everyone was looking out the window. Aphmau and I came in front and almost gasped at the mysterious sight. The top of a blue dome peaked over the fall trees. If it wasn't for a large beam shooting through it that shot to the sky, you would've missed it. I came from the other side of Ru'an, making it obvious which village it came from.

"O'Khasis,", Dante said. "Do you think-"

"It's Garroth,", Emmalyn answered. "I read a bit of the journal that Aphmau let me borrow. Esmund could make barriers to protect a whole empire."

"Why do you think he's using it?", Travis asked.

"Shad,", Aphmau said, narrowing her eyes. "Katelyn."

"Yes?"

"Send letters to all members of the Phoenix Alliance,", Aphmau commanded, "We need to gather before Shad moves." Katelyn looked at her like, she was waiting for something. "O'Khasis?", She asked. Aphmau looked down and shook her head. Katelyn only nodded and motioned Vylad to follow her to send out messages to the Alliance.

"Aph?", Travis asked. "What should we do?"

We looked to her. I knew that she knew that she was now going to be the leader in all of this. She sighed, put on a strong face and said;

"Prepare. That's what we need to do,", She says. "Dante, start gathering supplies such as food, water and camping supplies. Travis and Lucinda, gather your potions and find a area for the base camp. Kenmur and Emmalyn...I need you to find me as much information about the relics that you can in the short amount of time. Levin and Malachi, send word to the villages to evacuate the people."

They all took their directions and rushed out.

"What about me?", I asked.

"We are going to help evacuate Phoenix Drop and the other villages. They need to go to the Capital."

"Of course,", I say. "Aph, do you remember Esmund doing that?"

She looked back once more and she was silent.

"No...but, we have to keep focus on the task at hand."

I was hesitant but, agreed. I followed her out to help her with the ships that the civilians would need.

At that moment, I couldn't wait to retire or at least go back to the job I signed up for.

Word Count
1063