Mermaids Price

A woman held papers in her hands, looking down at them to check her lines

A woman held papers in her hands, looking down at them to check her lines. She cleared her throat, and without looking up, began to recite what was written upon them.

"This is a special announcement pertaining to the previous suspicions of kidnapping."

Oh, this should be good.

"Miss Jasmine Walters, age twenty, has officially gone missing after two days. Police are now calling for an official investigation. This is quite the change of heart since yesterday, when the sheriff himself seemed to insinuate that she was off sleeping around. After several complaints from locals for being so careless, he has even gone under investigation himself for suspicions of drinking on the job."

"We bring you Mister Walters now, with a message to the kidnapper."

Excuse me?

The screen transitioned to a man. He sported dark bags underneath his eyes, and his lashes were clumped together.

"Pull it together!" I snarled, throwing a popcorn kernel at the screen.

He sighed, and looked in the general area of the camera. "I speak solely to whomever had taken my daughter. She is the light of my life, the soul that fuels the sun. I will do anything to get her back. Please... just send a... a..." He sobbed, burying his head in his hands.

How distasteful.

"I'll do anything!" He howled. "Name your price, I'll pay it. Just bring her back..."

Perhaps...

Looking back, I should have asked for more.