Mermaids Tryst

Black and blue

Black and blue. They swirled in my vision as I focused on what lay before me.

Someone had laid a hand on Ariel. 

Red hot anger tinted my vision.

"E-Eric?" A soft voice interrupted me.

No one interrupts me. I was their prince, and all should respect royalty. I walked forward and grasped the shoulder of my jewel, my fingers tightening as if she were a lifeline. 

I paid no attention to the gasp that graced my ears - be it pain or surprise, it doesn't matter - my focus was solely on that spot around her eye. 

"Who the fuck would lay a hand on you?!" I growled, using my free hand to tilt her head up.

"P-please..." She trailed off.

Wait.

Fear.

It laced her tone. Usually, I'd savor it, but I'd have as long as she survived to taste that flavor. If I devoured it all now, she would never come back.

I can't have that.

Ten years of desiring one thing - her - were not about to go to waste.

So, I took my hands off her and backed away.

"I'm truly sorry about that. I just get so angry when someone dares lay a hand upon someone as kind as yourself. May I please make you some tea, and perhaps right my wrongs?"

She looked a little wary, but finally, she nodded and allowed me to lead her to my kitchen.

Looking back, it was an incredibly smooth recovery.