Chapter 1 - The Beginning

This story will be from Eva's POV unless stated otherwise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever experienced that moment when you knew your life was about to change forever? I certainly have.

It was the last day of junior year, and school had just let out. Everyone was eager to embrace the freedom of summer. I was no exception, planning to spend my sunny California days at the beach with my friends, Bea and Ciara. The promise of hot sun, cool breezes, leisurely walks on the pier, and indulgent ice cream filled our heads. It was a picture-perfect summer dream.

But then it happened. My phone rang, and against my usual instincts of ignoring unknown numbers, I answered it. Something compelled me to pick up.

"Hello, is this Eva Carson?"

"Yes, this is she," I replied.

"Hi, Eva. I'm Doctor Lakewood from UCLA Medical Center. I'm afraid I have some news to share with you..."

All the noise around me—the talking, the laughter—suddenly ceased. I stood frozen in the middle of the bustling parking lot, oblivious to the cars honking and swerving around me. None of it mattered.

All I heard was the doctor's voice, delivering the devastating news that my parents had been in an accident and that I needed to rush to the hospital.

I was paralyzed, my heart seemingly stopped, and my face was etched with sheer horror.

Bea and Ciara, noticing my expression, turned around and saw me standing there.

"Eva...are you okay?" Bea asked, her voice filled with concern.

"My parents were in an accident."

My friends turned pale, shock and concern mirrored in their faces.

"I...I have to get to the hospital immediately!"

Without a second thought, we all piled into Ciara's car and raced to the hospital. I'd never felt such nervousness in my life. My heart pounded, and a million negative thoughts swirled through my head. My throat felt constricted, and my stomach clenched with anxiety.

"What if... What if... What if they're seriously hurt?"

"Eva, try to relax. Everything will be okay," Ciara reassured me as she reached over to rub my shoulder.

I was fortunate. Not everyone has friends as supportive and amazing as mine. The three of us had been inseparable since the age of five. Every school day, every birthday, every sleepover, they were my rock.

Finally, we arrived at the hospital after what felt like an eternity. I entered the building with my two friends trailing behind and inquired about Dr. Lakewood. A middle-aged woman, around 45, with long, black hair tied back in a ponytail and dressed in blue medical scrubs approached me.

"Are you Eva Carson?"

"Yes, that's me," I replied in a shaky voice.

"Please come with me."

Dr. Lakewood escorted me into a room, just the two of us. The room was chilly and carried that distinct medicinal scent, as one would expect in a hospital.

She led me to a couch and began speaking, but as soon as the words "your parents didn't make it" left her lips, I stopped hearing anything else. My world crumbled, shattered by the recklessness of a driver who failed to look both ways. I felt anger, sorrow, and utter bewilderment, adrift in a sea of emotions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys! I know this chapter is super short I just wanted to give an intro to Eva and how this all started.

Future chapters will be longer!

The next parts will be out soon!

Thanks for reading!

XO