20

After Jade had gone back to LA, the team and I flew out to New Jersey, and Tobin and I went home. We got special permission to go stay with my folks, so when we landed, we went and got our bags with the team before going to the pick up area and I smiled as I saw my parents and little brother, I went and hugged them all, scooping up my little monkey, hugging him tight.

"Someone's happy." Mom comments, kissing my cheek and I just smile.

-

"Alright, spill." Mom says, taking my phone from me as she sits on the coffee table.

"Uh, no?" I say, eyeing my tea. "I'm really enjoying this tea."

"You know what I mean." She says and I raise a brow. "What changed that's got you so happy?"

"I'm dating someone."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Her name is Jade." I say and my mom smiles.

"I love seeing you like this, Y/N." She says and I keep smiling. "Keep telling me about Jade."

"She's a dancer, she's from Utah, and she's just so damn gorgeous. I want to meet her folks to thank them for the masterpiece that is their daughter."

"And her personality?"

"She's so sweet and kind and gentle, patient and understanding."

"Aw, Y/N. You love her." Mom says and I look down as I feel myself blush.

-
Mal
-

I don't see what Jade has that's got Y/N so smitten. Yeah, she's got gorgeous green eyes and a body, but what does Jade have that I don't.

"She has Y/N's heart. That's what she has and you don't." Lindsey says and I sigh as I look over at her. "You were thinking out loud, okay? And I've met Jade. She's more approachable than you are. Like, you're adorable and all, but you can be a bitch sometimes, Mal. Especially to Y/N. Dumping her for going and playing in Sydney over the offseason. Blowing up at her for giving you a heads up that she's taken so you don't make a fool of yourself after the game. Though I wish she wouldn't have done that, you deserve it for hurting Y/N the way you did."

"I was scared."

"And now Y/N is. She wasn't going to tell anybody but Tobin about her and Jade until Jade sat her down to talk about it. The tag line for everyone interested in Y/N is 'I'm not Mal'. For crying out loud."

"Okay, Lindsey, I get that I fucked up."

"I don't think you do. All Y/N wants to do is enjoy her relationship with her dancer-actress girlfriend. Don't ruin it because you're jealous. If you love her, let her go."

"She doesn't want me to let her go."

"She didn't. Remember? When you shattered her heart at the airport? She didn't want you to let her go back then. She wants you to now. Because she has a girlfriend. That isn't you."

"Are you saying most of that just to hurt me?" I ask Lindsey who looks at me before nodding.

"Yep. How's it feel?"

"Fuckin sucks."

"Welcome to Y/N's world."

"I beat up my best friend for her."

"No, you beat Jaelin up because you're fucking stupid."

"Fuck."

"Smooth move, exlax."

-
Y/N
-

"I told my mom." I say to Jade over FaceTime as I lay in my bed.

"And?"