Chapter 4

"Bucky come on. Let's get some coffee." Steve said as he pushed Bucky's chin upwards "Hey, come on Buck, chin up soldier." He said. This brought a twinkle to Bucky's eye. Steve often called him soldier when he was nervous.

"Yeah. Coffee." He replied as he stared into Steve's ice blue eyes, they reminded him of the swirling blue oceans, so many colours, so complicated and swirling, swirling into the deep black of his iris.

Steve led Bucky back into the café he had been sat in before the explosion. He sat back in the seat by the window, where he sat before. "Ma'am, I'll have two espressos please." Steve said confidently to the waitress.

"Certainly, sir." She replied politely. Steve picked up a newspaper from the stand next to a worn-out old sofa. He began to read. It was all about the bombing. How they had bombed Peggy's apartment and made it out to be Bucky's fault.

It was all the papers were reporting on, Bucky's face had been plastered all over the front page. "Steve. Steve, people are staring at me a-and pointing. I think they have figured it out." Bucky said as he shook Steve gently back into reality.

Steve saw that Bucky's metal arm was almost fully exposed, there was no wonder people were recognising him. "Buck, there's a shop on the corner. I'm going to get you a sweater and some gloves. Stay here."

Steve walked into the small souvenir shop and went straight to the jumpers. He cringed at all the New York merchandise in the cramped shop. He turned to see a large, rounded man standing behind him.

"Can I help you with anything, sir?" he asked, with a thick New York accent. Steve looked at the man. He was tall, almost as tall as himself with a bulging stomach and a plump, rounded face.

Steve cleared his throat and put on a thick, unconvincing English accent. "I was just looking for a-um, a jumper to take back for my father." He replied, trying to keep in character. "Well these are all our sweaters." The shop owner pointed to the rail. "If there's anything else I can do, give me a shout." He said, a wide smile broadening over his round face. "Thanks." Steve replied quietly.

He looked through the large sweaters and picked up two matching navy blue hoodies with 'New York' in large letters, with the empire state building taking centre frame. He also grabbed the biggest pair of woollen gloves he could find and went to the till.

"That's $37.50." The shop owner said. Steve pulled out a wedge of cash from one from the pockets in his trousers. He always kept money in there, just in case. "There you go" Steve said as he passed over forty dollars. "And that's $2.50 change. Have a great holiday." He said as he passed over the change. "Thanks. Bye."

Steve walked back down to the coffee shop and gave Bucky the sweater and gloves. He also put his uniform back over his white shirt and pulled the sweater over the top. It hung loosely around his waist.

Bucky looked at Steve and smiled. It was funny to see him looking like a common tourist. Hopefully now they could go anywhere without being recognised.