Chapter 11

Clint groaned in pain as the doctors took yet more blood from him. "I've already lost a lot of it, do you really need to take more?" he groaned as the sharp needle was taken out his arm.

"That's all we need for now, Mr Barton." Replied the doctor. He left the room, but once he got outside he poked his head back through the door. "You've got some visitors, Mr Barton. Would you like me to send them in?"

Before Clint could reply, Pietro ran through the door shouting "Daaadddyyyyyy!" at the top of his voice. His chubby legs shook with excitement as he watched his father slowly push himself up into a sitting position.

Clint smiled broadly at his young son, but groaned as a pain shot up his spine from his bullet wound. Just then, Laura walked in holding Lila and Cooper's hands. "Hey" Laura whispered as she entered the room. She had a large cut down the side of her face, but was otherwise unscathed.

Clint was happy to see that all his family had got out with nothing but minor cuts and bruises. "Clint... There's something I need to tell you. We... We're under arrest, you and I. F... For helping Steve and Bucky. The children-" Laura broke down in tears and collapsed at the side of Clint's bed, grasping his hand tightly.

"Oh Clint, what will we do? What if they take the children away from us? What will we do? Oh Clint I-" She began but Clint cut her off.

"Laura Barton" he said slowly "That is never, ever going to happen. Okay? Never." He said as he squeezed his wife's hand. In truth, he didn't believe his own words. He knew the police would come for Steve and Bucky, but he didn't realise how quickly they would be able to find his house.

It made him wonder how much S.H.I.E.L.D. knew about his family and his home life. And not just S.H.I.E.L.D. but the government too. He pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind as Laura picked Pietro up and placed him at the end of Clint's bed.

"Hey, bud, how are you? You being a good boy?" Clint asked cheerily. Pietro said nothing but nodded vigorously and began to fiddle with the hem of his slightly-too-big dinosaur t-shirt. He refused to change out of the t-shirt, claiming it was his favourite and that he liked the big green dinosaur (which he had nicknamed 'Paul') on the front because he looked happy.

Clint leant down and took his sons tiny hand in his own. "Daddy is a bit tired, okay bud? We can play later, but mummy will look after you until daddy's feeling better, okay?" He didn't want to say, but the pain in his back and arm became almost too much to bear.

"Ummmmm... Okay" Pietro replied hesitantly.

"Good lad" Clint smiled, watching Pietro slide off the side of his bed. Laura slowly led the children out of the room. Clint laid back down and turned the dial on his morphine up to maximum and letting himself slip into a deep, peaceful sleep.

A/N The next chapter is kinda sad (well I find it sad) so be prepared