Chapter 20

Steve opened his eyes, now able to bare the searing pain in his abdomen. "Captain Rogers, can you hear me? Can you remember what happened?" One of Steve's doctors probed him. "Umm, I remember the pain and then it all went black. What happened?" Steve's pain began to subside as his various painkillers and antibiotics kicked in.

"You were in too much pain, and your body needed time to heal itself, so we placed you into an induced coma. You were out for two and a half days." The doctor explained, but Steve still looked perplexed.

"W-what do you mean two and a half days? I was only out for a few hours." Two and a half days? That couldn't be right.

He had only been here a few hours, one day at most. Or had he?

His mind began to race, Bucky, Clint, Laura, the kids. Steve knew a lot could happen in two days. Steve began to panic but tried his best to hide it.

It had been a good half a day since Steve woke up that he had tried to get out of bed. He had managed to sit upright and swing his legs over the side of his bed. He had tried to stand but the doctors had forced him to lay back again.

"You're going to rip your stitches if you try to walk now. Give it another day or two." One of Steve's doctors, who he had learned was called Matt Smith, told Steve as he forced him to lay back down.

"I've already been here two and a half days, I can't wait, I have to look for Bucky, and do you know where he is? And what about Clint, a-and Laura and the kids. Where are they? Tell me where they are!" Steve's voice quickened and cracked with panic as he tried to fight against Dr Smith's orders.

"Try to stay calm, captain Rogers. You need to stay calm." Dr Smith tried his hardest to calm his panicked patient. Steve eventually relaxed and reluctantly laid back down.

It was another few hours before Steve tried to stand again. This time the doctors let him, but only if he accepted support from them. He managed to make his way to the toilet that was in his room. He came back out and stumbled back to his bed unaided.

As he laid back down on his bed, he noticed a drip he didn't know was there before; adrenaline. It was logical; it was a natural painkiller. He was tired, of course, he was exhausted. But his priority was to find Bucky and keep him safe.

He was in pain too, but, once again, his mind was full of worry for Bucky. He had been alone, he thought, for nearly a week. He knew that he struggled without Steve for more than a day, an hour even. Of course, there were the nightmares, which he had almost every night and even more frequently when Steve wasn't around.

All he knew, all he could think about, was Bucky and how he need to get to him. Fast.