Chapter 7

After over an hour going through the airport security, lots of worry about being recognised and countless attempts trying to explain Bucky's arm without exposing it, Steve and Bucky were finally sitting in the departure lounge with warm coffee and a Panini. Bucky sat with his head tucked under Steve's chin, grasping his knee with his metal hand.

Steve stroked Bucky's head lovingly, because he knew how nervous he could get when there were lots of people around. "Steve, when do we need to go?" Bucky asked, gripping Steve's knee a little tighter as a young girl walked passed them, staring at Bucky's gloved hand.

"Not for another hour and a half," Steve replied, looking up at the departures board "The flight has been delayed another half hour. We have a bit pf a wait on our hands, Buck, try to relax." He replied, as he kissed him lightly on the top of the head.

Steve woke up with a start. "Sir, would you like a complementary drink?" The air-hostess asked Steve, tapping him lightly on the knee. "Ummmm, can I have two waters, please?" Steve replied politely.

"With ice?" She said with a smile.

"Why not." Steve smiled brightly at the air-hostess.

"There you are, sir." She said as she began to move down the aisle to the next row of seats. "Bucky, I got us water. Buck?" He nudged Bucky and watched his sleepy eyes open and adjust to the searing light of the plane, as he lifted his head from Steve's broad shoulder.

Bucky stretched as he pulled the blind up to reveal the dark night sky littered with bright, glistening stars. He stared out into the darkness as his eyes glistened with nothing but childlike wonder.

"Stevie, how much longer?" Bucky asked, grabbing his water and taking a sip.

"About an hour left, Bucky, try to get some more sleep." Steve said, pulling his hair, playfully.

"What about you?" Bucky asked, looking up into Steve's perplexing ice blue eyes, He had always looked at Steve with wonder, now he had been through so much and yet showed it so little, never caring about himself, only the people he was trying to protect, Bucky included.

"I'm fine, Buck, you get some sleep." Steve answered, stroking Bucky's hair affectionately. But the truth was, Bucky could rarely sleep, he still suffered from vivid nightmares, so vivid they seemed real, like he could just reach out and touch the killers, the victims, and the people he had killed.

The nightmares had never really stopped for Bucky, even when Steve was there. Without Steve, Bucky felt particularly vulnerable but even when he was by his side, he never really felt he could fully escape the horrors of his past.

"Bucky, are you ok?" Steve asked, seeing Bucky's eyes glass over.

"No... Steve... I, I've been having nightmares... About," Bucky's voice began to shake as he tried to hold back the tears. His whole body tremored as he gasped for breath.

"Oh my god, Bucky, why didn't you tell me sooner, I love you, there is nothing, nothing I wouldn't do for you ok? Nothing." Steve pulled Bucky's head up and kissed him hard on the lips. Steve held him close as he let the tears flow, his whole body jerking with each strained breath. "That's it, your safe, I'll never let anything happen to you."

Although, even as he said it, Steve did not fully believe the words that were leaving his own mouth. Was it true? Could he really protect Bucky forever? What if something happened to him?