Chapter 10

A/N I'm really sorry I haven't updated this in so long! I have had so much school work and honestly I forget about it sometimes. But I've nearly finished the whole fic, so I should be updating it more regularly from now on. Enjoy this chapter (even though it's super short)!

Bucky held his breath as he brought the sharp knife towards his face and gently ran his finger over the sharp edge up to the point. Red beads of blood ran down the knife to the handle, cascading over it.

To Bucky, there was something so poetic about blood, something almost beautiful about the way it flows so effortlessly, and how red it is and how it forms bead like drops. He held the blade to his chin and ran it slowly along the base of the hair on his chin and face.

He kept his eyes shut and his breath held as he gently shaved his facial hair. Once he was done he looked down mournfully at the pile of short hair left on the woodland floor by his feet. He felt the smoothness of his face.

It was a rather haphazard shave, but he hoped people would be less able to recognise him now. He tucked his knife back down his boot and picked up the pile of hair from the ground.

Bucky stayed under the cover of the trees until dark. He felt so vulnerable without Steve by his side. When Steve was with him, he felt safer, although he never felt completely safe, when he was with Steve, his hands didn't shake and he knew that nobody would or could hurt him.

When darkness did eventually fall, Bucky slowly crept through the woods. He stopped to think, to clear his mind. He knew where he wanted to go and what he wanted to do but he had no idea how to actually get any of it done.

He had a list in his head: 1. Get himself safe 2. Find out where Steve 3. Find out if Clint and the family were okay. He knew that one was the most important, and he knew Steve had to come next, but he also knew he probably wouldn't be able to see him, which made him feel deeply uneasy.

Still, he thought, it could be much worse. He took a deep breath and began to make his way through the woods once again.