Chapter 17

Clint had upped his morphine to the max, trying to take the edge off the pain in his back. The doctors had told him that the bullet had severed his spinal cord and would probably be left paralyzed from the waist down.

Since he'd got into hospital, it hadn't quite set in that he might not be able to play with his children, he would never be a part of the Avengers again. He wanted to be there for his family, to be strong for his children and for Laura, but he couldn't. He wanted to be the one to hold it together, but he didn't have the strength. He had only ever admitted that he needed help to one person; Nat.

Nat had come to visit him earlier that day but he wanted to see her again, to ask for her help. He knew that she would still be somewhere in the hospital so he called for one of the doctors and asked him to find Nat.

About fifteen minutes later, the doctor returned and brought Natasha, who was drying her eyes for some reason, in with him. "Thanks." Clint called after the doctor as he waked out the door. Natasha sat in the chair next to Clint's bed and took hold of his hand.

He sighed deeply and began to tell her how he felt "Nat, it's bad, real bad. They don't think I'll walk again. I don't know what we'll do. I don't know how I'm going to keep it together for them, Laura and the kids." He began to tear up admitting his fears.

"Clint, oh Clint. Laura will always love you and the kids. You'll get through this." She looked down at his legs. He had saved her in so many ways, so many times. Now it was her time to return the favour.

"We'll help you. Me and Tony and Banner and the others. We'll get you through this. I promise." Clint looked unconvinced and sighed deeply. Natasha saw his unease and tried to comfort him the best way she could "Look Clint, there's no point in lying to you. Yes, it's bad but it could be so much worse. You've got me and Laura and the kids. Clint, you've saved me so many times and in so many ways, all you ever need to do is ask. I can help you with the kids, plus Tony and Banner can try and help you walk again. If there's anyone who can help with that, it's The Science Bros."

She squeezed his hand and smiled broadly, trying to read Clint's face for a response. "Thank you, Nat. I don't know what I'd do without you. You're so good to me and the kids and Laura. We're all lucky to know you." Clint smiled and his shoulders relaxed a little.

"One more thing," Clint looked intensely at Natasha. "If anything happens to me will you help Laura look after the kids? She won't be able to do it one her own and the kids love you. I just want to know that you'll still help them." His eyes darted nervously around the room.

"Oh, Clint. Clint, I will always, always be there for you and your family. As long as I am alive, I will be Auntie Nat. Okay? Always. You and Laura and the kids mean everything to me. I don't know where I'd be today without you guys, or if I'd even be here." Natasha looked at him affectionately.

"You need to get as much rest as possible, it'll help you heal." Natasha squeezed his hand one more time and stood up.

"You'll be okay, Clint. We're all going to be okay." She said, turning and walking out the room.

A/N I've finished the story now! I think I'll start publishing a chapter every day if I can, so yeah, I hope you're enjoying the story so far