Chapter 15

Bucky felt tense as he made his way towards the stairs. He felt people's eyes bear into his back as he walked down the corridor. He was consciously trying to look natural and not twitch, not look back, not look scared. But he found it almost impossible, because the more he thought about trying to act normal, the tenser he became.

The corridor seemed to go on forever and by the time Bucky had finally reached the stairs he felt breathless with panic. It was the first time he had been out in public without Steve.

Suddenly, a horde of about ten doctors ran down the corridor, shouting and talking to each other "We've got an emergency, in from the police station. A Captain Rogers-"

Bucky froze. Rogers. Steve. Why was he here? An emergency? What had happened to him? He had to find out. But he knew he couldn't just ask. He took a deep breath as he began to walk up the stairs. The doctors piled into one of the lifts.

Go. He thought to himself. Just go and find Clint. He might be able to give you some answers. Bucky tried desperately to order his thoughts, but his mind was racing. Clint. Laura. Steve.

He wanted to scream. He wanted this all to stop, for this hell to be over. He balled his hands into fists and marched up the stairs, counting them as he went.

One, two, three, four, five... He kept going, staring at his feet.

Twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five. He looked up. Floor three. Three more to go.

Thirty, thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three, thirty-four, thirty-five. He kept going, kept climbing.

Forty, forty-one, forty-two, forty-three, forty-four, forty-five. Close. So close. He saw sign above the door: Floor 6 Ward 6A. He was close to Clint, close to answers. He paused at the top of the stairs and took a deep breath.

His hands shook as he reached for the door handle. He stood a little taller than before, straightening his back and pulling the door open, trying to look confident.

He followed the arrows that showed the way to ward 6A, until he saw Clint. Clint, laying there, in a bed, in a room, connected to a variety of bags of drugs, drips and machines.

He walked past Clint's room to see Laura sitting by Clint's bed, holding his hand.