Chapter 18

Once Bucky had walked past Clint's room about ten times, seen both Laura, three doctors and Natasha enter and leave his room, he decided he would go inside. He entered the room to dins Clint with his eyes closed. He seemed to be asleep. Bucky panicked for a minute, wondering what he should do.

Should he wait or leave? Wake him up or let him sleep? Stop. He thought to himself. Think. You've come all this way, so wait. He needs to rest, so let him sleep. He told himself. He sat in the chair next to Clint's bed and hoped that nobody would come in and question what he was doing there.

Bucky was sat in the chair for around half an hour before Clint began to stir. He woke with a start, sweating and panting. He had had a bad dream and Bucky knew it. They were symptoms he knew all too well. He let Clint wake up fully before he stood up.

"Clint, Clint it's me, it's Bucky. I'm so sorry, I had no idea this would happen. I put you and Laura and the children in danger. This is all my fault and now you're here and I've got no idea where Steve is and..." Bucky's breathing quickened as he trailed off. His chest felt tight, like he couldn't breathe. His hands shook more than usual and his legs began to shake too. Clint's life had been destroyed and it was all his fault. He looked down at his feet and tried not to meet Clint's gaze

"Bucky, it's not your fault." Bucky looked up at Clint and tried to form a sentence. "Wh... What? But, everything that happened was because of me." Bucky struggled to understand why Clint wasn't angry with him. He sat back down and tried his hardest to relax.

"It's not your fault. I don't blame you, I'm just happy that you're safe. And, if you think about it, it could have been much worse. We're all safe, Laura and the kids weren't hurt and everyone's still breathing. I'm happy that I could help you Bucky, you're Steve's boyfriend, so you're my friend." Clint smiled broadly at Bucky as he let his shoulders drop and his breath slow.

"Do you know anything about Steve, I mean, do you know where he is? Is he... Is he dead?" Bucky's voice shook as he said the last sentence. Over the past week, he had tried to not think about it. He was scared that if he knew he was dead, he might not be able to cope.

"He's okay, he's alive. The FBI took him in and I haven't heard anything since. They come and visit me sometimes, the police and FBI, just to see if I've remembered any new information. I'll ask them, see if they'll tell me what happened to him. I'm sure he's okay, they'll take good care of him." Clint said, trying to comfort his friend.

"Thank you, Clint. For everything you've done for me." Bucky stood up and walked towards the door and left. He was suddenly really hungry and decided to go down to the canteen to get something to eat.