14. The Annual Dinner

I felt a rush of excitement as I stood outside the doors. I didn't know where I was, but I knew it wasn't accessible to the public. "You, my darling look fabulous." The woman smiled at me, running her hand up and down my back. I wanted to cry. I felt beautiful. I didn't feel like me. I felt like a queen, it was so strange to think that not long ago I was stranded, starved on Jakku. It was crazy. Thank you." I smiled, pulling the woman into my arms, she rubbed her arms along my back then pulled away. "Go, don't get all emotional." She laughed, turning away. I took a deep breath, this was it. I stepped forwards and pushed the door open. I stepped inside and let the door close behind me.

I was taken back by how beautiful the room was. The floor was polished marble, delicately twisted and turned to make a beautiful pattern. The walls were white, carefully laced with gold. There were several pillars in the room, they were beautiful. Each pillar had roses growing around it, twisting and turning. The chandeliers hung gracefully over the hall, making the floor shimmer. There was a large buffet table against the wall to my right and there was a few large tables across from it. It's table cloth was golden and there were red rose petals scattered along the top. It was busy in here, probably around seventy people were here. The sound of laughs and champagne glasses touching filled the room. This place was beautiful. Everyone was dressed up, in beautiful gowns and suits. I couldn't keep a smile off my face as I looked around. It was just so beautiful.

A waiter offered me a glass of champagne, I smiled accepting his offer and thanked him before he rushed off to the next person. I saw to my right a balcony and so I decided I would take a walk and look at the views. I was nervous, I felt slightly out of place here. Everyone was just so proper and I wasn't, I wasn't born and bred like this. I walked hoping to find Leia somewhere but I didn't. I reached the balcony and rested one hand on the stone balustrade, holding my glass of champagne in the other. I took a quick sip and placed it down on the side, careful not to drop it. I looked out, the sunset had almost finished falling and I could see the stars starting to emerge. I smiled as I saw the sun fall and the stars arise. I loved the night, it was beautiful. It reminded me of the lonely nights on Jakku, they had always given me hope. Every night I would watch them appear in front of my eyes and pray that some good would come my way. In some ways, that droid saved my life. I would have still been a slave to Unkar if I hadn't met BB8. My life had changed dramatically, I was now a Jedi. A Jedi! Me, of all people! 

"Rey!" I heard a feminine voice behind me gasp, I turned around smiling. I knew it was Leia. "Oh! You look so beautiful." She smiled, pulling me into her arms. I hugged her tight, Leia had given me so much hope, she'd been like a mother to me. "Thank you." I whispered, pulling out of the hug. She ran her arm up and down mine and looked up at me. "I know this is short notice but this meal is a rather large annual event. You're important here, Rey. You're a Jedi." She said, turning around and walking back into the hall, I followed her, keeping my head high. "I can't thank you enough, Leia." I smiled, walking next to her. I saw her frown at a couple stood by the door, I looked at them. They seemed normal. She tuned to me, knowing I was looking too. "Tonight we shall discuss your Jedi ceremony." Leia smiled, guiding me towards the centre table. My what? A Jedi ceremony? "Jedi ceremony?" I asked, puzzled by what she had said. She started laughing a little and pulled a chair out for me. I sat down and watched as she sat next to me. "Yes, people from many planets will travel to see you be announced as an official Jedi. It's a large event." She smiled. I was surprised, a Jedi ceremony. For me? I couldn't contain my excitement and I beamed at her. This was amazing. "I- I don't know what to say! THANK YOU!" I smiled, hugging her. I let go, pulling away and returned to my formal seating position.

"Attention everyone! Please find your seats. Food shall be served." I heard a waiter call, I looked at Leia and smiled. I was nervous now, I could feel myself shaking. I felt Leia grab my hand under the table and squeeze it. "Don't worry." She whispered, "Just answer honestly and engage in conversation. People will love you." I nodded, looking around as everyone seated around us. Admiral Holdo walked towards us, her hips swaying in a silver dress. She pulled the chair out next to Leia and sat down. She had a warm smile on her face. "Rey, you look amazing!" She gasped, looking at me.
"Thank you Admiral." I smiled, looking at how beautiful she looked.
"Call me Amilyn, that's my name." She replied before turning to face the people opposite her on the circular table. There were two empty spaces on the table, I looked around, the other 6 seats were taken. I turned to the person next to me and smiled, he was around the same age as me, maybe a little older. "Rey, right?" He asked, pulling his hand out to meet mine. I shook his hand and nodded, "Yes and you are?"
"I'm Lucas, it's nice to meet you."
I smiled, he seemed nice. He was attractive, his hair was light brown and was a little shorter than Bens. He had deep blue eyes and his skin was freckled. "So you're a Jedi?" He asked, taking a sip from his champagne. He placed it back down on the table and pulled his napkin onto his lap. I did the same, making it seem like I knew what I was doing. "Yeah, I guess so..." I replied, awkwardly. I didn't really like talking about it, I felt awkward. "Well cheers to that." He smiled, raising his glass to meet mine.