━━━━ CHAPTER SIXTEEN

˖*°࿐chapter sixteen

˖*°chapter sixteen.
xvi. IPRONI

"IPRONI, THE YELLOW CITY," Laelia walks down a small hill with Allister and Korben. Flies flew around them, buzzing and annoying to their skin and ears. "The Ipronish train bed slaves, not soldiers. We can defeat them."

"On the field with ease," Korben speaks up.

"But they won't meet us on the field," Allister shakes his head. "They have provisions, patience, and strong walls. If they're wise, they'll hide behind those walls and chip away at us; man by man."

"I don't want half my army killed before I've crossed the Narrow Sea," Laelia replies, staring at the large buildings and pyramids of Iproni.

"We don't need Iproni, Khaleesi," Allister shakes his head at her. "Taking the city will not bring you any closer to Björndottir or the Iron Throne."

"How many slaves are there in Iproni?"

"200,000, if not more."

"Then we have 200,000 reasons to take the city," she mutters back to him. She turns around to face Grey Worm. "Va oktio remȳti vale jikās." (Send a man to the city gates.) Belmurtī ivestrās kesīr pōnte jiōrinna se pōjon obūljarion mazōrīnna. Lodaor hēnkos vējose hae Tario Iproni botilza. (Tell the slavers I will receive them here and accept their surrender. Otherwise, Iproni will suffer the same fate as Tario.) He gives her a curt nod, turning to face his soldiers.

Almost an hour later, the Unsullied soldiers put the shields up against their chests as the Iproni leaders pass through the division, one of their guards playing the drums as they walk. Slaves carried a large pedestal, adorned with gold and red embellishments. All the slaves wore chains that connected them to one another, some holding up a cradle, the guards holding up large ragged swords in place of a spear. The slaves looked tired; ready to die at any moment from depletion. They place the pedestal in front of Laelia, Melora beginning to introduce him.

"Now comes the noble Meqen zo Uehl of that ancient and honorable house, Master of Men and Speaker to Savages to offer terms of peace," Aenerys shrieks as the man comes closer to Laelia, the spikes on his neck standing on end. While the soldier went to get Meqen, she had changed from the blue dress she wore to Jotunheim and Tario to a white, long dress with a thick black belt and a ring that attached around her neck. He stops short at the sight of them.

"Noble lord, you are in the presence of Laelia Stormbourn of House Greystone," Melora says. "Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons."

A moment of silence passes between them as Meqen scowls at her. "You may approach," Laelia breaks it. "Sit."

An Unsullied comes up and places a chair in front of him, Melora grabbing the silver teakettle and vessel, "Will the Noble lord take refreshment?" He gives her a silent acceptance, Melora starting to pour the drink for him. He takes a generous sip of it.

"Ancient and glorious is Iproni," he begins. "Our empire was old before dragons stirred in Old Krefson, many an army has broken against our walls ―"

Laelia takes a piece of cut-up chicken from a covered bowl, "You shall find no easy conquest here, Khaleesi." The dragons begin to shriek at the sight of food, Laelia throwing it and Thorsten catches it and they begin to fly around the tent, trying to fight over it. "Good," she says. "My Unsullied need practice, I was told to blood them early."

"If blood is your desire, blood shall flow. But why? 'Tis true you have committed savageries in Tario, but the Iproni are forgiving and generous people," he claps, the slaves coming forth with the boxes. "The Wise Masters of Iproni have sent a gift for the Silver Queen." They open the boxes to reveal large bars of gold. "There is far more than this awaiting you on the deck of your ship."

"My ship?" She has a small smile on her face. They certainly were treating her well.

"Yes, Khaleesi. As I said, we are a generous people. You should have as many ships as you should require."

"And what do you ask in return?"

"All we ask that you make use of these ships, sail them back to Björndottir where you leave belong and leave us to conduct our affairs in peace."

She looks at two slaves that were kneeling uncomfortably on the ground, braces against their necks in case the masters were to put chains on them. "I have a gift for you as well. Your life."

"My life?"

"And the lives of the Wise Masters, but I also want something in return. You will release every slave in Iproni, every man, woman, and child shall be given as much food, clothing, and property as they can carry as payment for their years of servitude. Reject this gift, and I shall show you no mercy."

"You are mad," he leans forward. "We are not Tario or Priset, we are Iproni, and we have powerful friends ― friends who would great pleasure in destroying you. Those who survive we shall enslave once more. Perhaps we'll make a slave of you as well ―" he stands up abruptly but Aenerys shrieks at him, sharp teeth showing and spikes standing up. He sits on top of a large post designed like a birdcage. "You swore me safe conduct," he says rapidly.

"I did," Laelia looks at her child, "but my dragons made no promises and you've threatened their mother."

"Take the gold," he orders the slaves. They stand up, going to the boxes with careful steps, and as they near the box, Aenerys drops down and screeches at them, scaring the two men. They jump back to the opening of the tent.

"My gold," Laelia says with no emotion. "You gave it to me, remember? And I shall put it to good use, you'd be wise to do the same with my gift to you. Now get out."

He walks out mumbling words under his breath, "The Ipronish are proud people. They will not bend."

"What happens to things that don't bend?"

"He said that he had powerful friends, who is he talking about?"

"I don't know," Allister shakes his head, shrugging.

"Find out."

Aenerys flies to Laelia's side, letting her pet him as she continues to stare at Meqen. He purrs affectionately at the feeling. They will definitely remember not to mess with her.