Chapter 30 Sam

"Hey, Sam. Sorry I was running late. I hope it didn't inconvenience you," Bill asked, waiting by his car.

"Hi, Bill. Actually it worked out for the better." Telling him I would have been late dealing with my own inner monolog seemed pointless.

"I know you were going back to look at the two houses you like, but a colleague of mine just signed on a fabulous place last night. It's probably bigger than what you want, but I wanted to give you first dibs on it before the sign goes up. Then I will bring you back to your car so you can head back to the others," Bill explained.

"Sure why not." It wasn't till I got out of my car when I realized we never did have an appointment but decided not to piss of another person this morning so I jumped out of my car and into his awaiting one.

The excitement in his voice was a little more than a realtor should have for just showing a house. "This place is beautiful home just on the outskirts of town. It's secluded," he explained after getting into the car. "I don't even remember it ever being on the market before. This place will not take long to get to all." Bill was chatting a mile a minute. "The only thing is I do not have any idea on what it has. I mean in bedrooms and bathrooms. It is and always has been a mystery to all us realtors. It is exciting to just to see the inside!"

Bill had my interest peaked before we got there but it didn't come close to preparing me what I was about to see. The road we were on was secluded. The houses became farther and farther apart. I liked that. Finally pulling into a driveway had my mouth drop open. This was my dream house. Even better than my dream house since I wasn't sure even my imagination was that good. I spent hours drawing my house, when I was younger, where I imagined my grandchildren would come and play bringing the house full of joy and warmth. Those dreams were over, but maybe I could still have the house. The only way I passed up this house was if it was falling apart on the inside. Maybe not even then.

Interlocking bricks paved its way up the long wide driveway curving to the back of the house. This reddish brick 2.5 storey house was breathtaking; black shutters framed all the windows. Wide steps leading to a deep red door centring the house and wrap-around porch, which was mirrored on the second storey as well. The landscape was simple in front, just a few bushes but very well maintained. Which was perfect since I had more of a black thumb instead of a green one.

Sitting there stunned at the sight I didn't register right away that Bill had stopped the car and was already had my door opened. "It's beautiful," I whispered more to myself.

"I know it's big Sam, but I really wanted to show you. I have a feeling you and this house were meant to be together," Bill said, quietly, taking my quietness for lack of enthusiasm.

Patting Bill's arm as I finally got out of the car; never taking my eyes off the house. "No, Bill this is perfect. It's what I have dreamed about." Looking at him with wide eyes, I asked, "Please tell me the inside is not falling apart. If it is I don't want to see it." That sight would break my heart.

Relieved, Bill replies, "I was told it is even better than the outside." Placing his hand on my lower back helping me take that first step forward. "Are you ready to go see it?"

Walking up the seven steps to the front door, we were greeted by a tall lanky man in his late 40's. He was just your average looking gentlemen, the kind you would not notice walking down the street but friendly enough you would say "hi" to in passing. The couple beside him looked older but they moved with such elegance of someone half their age it made it hard to determine how old they really were.

"Good afternoon Tom, Mr. and Mrs. Weatherspoon. I would like you to meet Sam," Bill introduced us while shaking their hands.

"Nice to meet you, dear. Come in, come in, I think you are the perfect fit for this house, just as we once were," Mrs. Weatherspoon said, reaching for my arm and escorted me in to the home.