Chapter 43 Dmitri

I stood there with a pleased smile on my face watching Sam's hip sway as she walked across the street. Licking my bottom lip; savouring the last remains of her lipsticks. Disappearing behind the door of his bar, I turned my attention back to Mason.

"She's not your show horse," Mason spat.

"Pardon?" I asked more shocked at the comment then angry that Mason could think that. "You damn well know it's not like that."

Mason sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with thumb and forefinger. "I know D. I know, it's just been a rough week, and being the night before the full moon I'm a little testy," he apologized, shaking his head. "D, she's family man. Don't get me wrong, so are you but it's different with Sam. If it wasn't for the texting we did I would have left and came home the second day," he confessed.

"Believe or not I do understand," I said, resting my hand on Mason's shoulder. "Hell I was here and besides tonight, I only seen her for no more than 5 minutes at a time before she was rushing off to who knows where. Mady thinks she's trying to put some distance between all of us because she's getting too close." We both stared at the bar as if we could see through brick walls. Changing the subject back to the reason I wanted to talk to him. "Listen, Jack called and nobody can find Katie. She practically begged to go to Cassie's funeral and then never showed up. Far as we know, the last time anyone has seen her was yesterday leaving work. I'm heading there now to help out," I said more seriously.

Mason eyes held the same concern that I felt. "Do you need me?"

"No. You just got back but I have a favour to ask. Will you keep an eye on Sam tonight for me? I don't know this Matt guy, even if he is a friend of hers. Plus he's a lion and..." I didn't need to say anything more. I had enough to worry about with Nickoli and didn't need anyone else interested in her, especially another cat.

"You don't have to ask, I would anyways, and I don't think you have to worry about Matt. I don't know why but I just know he's alright and perfectly safe with Sam," Mason said, having way too much confidence in a man he just met.

"Ok. Take care of our girl and I will let you know what we find," I called over my shoulder as I jogged to my Jeep. When I was halfway there I realized that this was the first time a lion has ever stepped into my bar. What the hell was happening to our little town?